FORUM SPONSORS > Adrenaline Barbecue Co.

Smoked Chicken Halves with the Slow n Sear

(1/2) > >>

HighOnSmoke:
I picked up a case of chickens from Zaycon Foods the other day.  It was a 36 pound case with 10 whole chickens.  Average weight
was about 3.5 pounds.  This morning I removed the backbone and then split the chicken in half. It was marinated in a bath of
buttermilk for about 6 hours. I gave it a light coat of spray canola oil and seasoned it with Savor Spices Way Out West.

I fired up the Weber with lump charcoal and once up to temperature I put the chicken on and added 1 chunk of cherry wood. I am
also using the drip n griddle under the chicken.

Added some yellow and zucchini squash to the grill when the chicken hit 145 internal temperature. I am using one of my firewires
to cook them with. I seasoned them California Garlic Pepper and hit them with a little EVOO.

Chicken and veggies are done.

My plate!

Chicken was crisp, juicy and with a nice light smoke flavor. The veggies had just the right amount of crunch and weren’t too smoky.
I have a tendency with squash to get it too smoky. Total cook time was 1:30 hours at 365.

Pappymn:
I passed on the whole chickens. What did you think of them? How were they packaged?

HighOnSmoke:

--- Quote from: Pappymn on February 12, 2017, 06:57:53 PM ---I passed on the whole chickens. What did you think of them? How were they packaged?

--- End quote ---

The one I cooked was great! They came 10 in the box. They were packaged in a heavy duty plastic bag that was iced. So when I got them home I took the whole bag and put it in the freezer and then started vacuum sealing them. Didn't take long and I think at the price I got these I will get them again. I might add that at this size they are perfect for just the two of us. There wasn't anything left for leftovers tonight. Maybe that is because I skipped lunch.. ;)

tomcrete1:
Looks great! :thumbup:

hikerman:
I like the looks of that chicken and zucchini Mike! And I enjoy WOW on chicken a lot!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version