Cured Meats & Food Preservation > Pickling & Canning

Brine Pickled Celery (Update)

(1/2) > >>

Smokin Don:
Brine pickled celery

Jul 11 2017

I ran across this the other day, never thought of using celery. It is one of my favorite veggies so should be good. I have a quart started and should be ready in two weeks.

Brine Pickled Celery
•   1 small bunch of celery
•   2 garlic cloves, smashed
•   1/4 onion, sliced
•   1 bunch of fresh dill I used dry dill about 1 tsp.
•   2% brine solution (19 gms salt per 1 quart water) I used 3 Tbs coarse salt
Trim celery and cut into pieces to fit your jar.  Stuff celery in a quart sized mason jar (you might need 2 jars depending on how much celery you have).  Insert garlic, onion slices and dill in between the celery stalks.  Cover with salt brine to about 1″ from the top of the jar.  Close your fermentation vessel and don’t forget to fill the airlock and let set at room temperature for 5-7 days or until bubble activity dies down.  Move to cold storage.

Update
Jul 29 2017

It was time to taste my brined celery, it had set on the counter for 7 days and in the fridge for 7. My wife went to our daughters to take her out for her birthday. I had a piece of strip steak for a sandwich.

I nuked the steak and had it on a Ciabata bun with some Maille mustard and had 3 pieces of the celery.
The celery was good only I should had removed some of the outer strings as they were tough.

You’re right Pam the celery would be great in a bloody Mary! Too bad the Dr. has taken my vodka away from me!

Smokin Don

Pam Gould:
bookmarked 

Pappymn:
I bet that would be tasty

Pam Gould:
gonna try mine in a Cucumber bloody Mary   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

hikerman:
Looks and sounds interesting Don!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version