Recipes > Game Meats

Elk Pasole

<< < (2/3) > >>

teesquare:
ELK PASOLE RECIPE

You could use ground beef or pork. Better if you can add a bit of smoke - so for for safety reasons, *IF* you are using meat that is already ground, use a tiny amount of liquid smoke. I know, I know...but it will be o.k. because you do not want use so much that it dominates the taste of the dish, just a little background flavor/aroma.

***You could also combine this in a cast iron pot left uncovered, and set it in your pellet grill, on a temp setting low enough to get a nice, gentle smoke flavor - like it was cooked over a campfire...***

1 -lb. of Hatch New Mexico roasted chilis. Heat level is your choice. But you can add it to the dish later...you can't take it out. Be kind to your guests...and your guests will be kind to your plumbing... ;) ;D 8)

2 -15 oz. cans of yellow hominy. If you could gt died hominy where you are, it will adsorb the flavors of the dish and is better. But - if you can't find dried, the canned is o.k.

1 - 16 oz. jar of Herdez Mild ( or Hot if you feel your digestive tract needs a "cleanse" ??? ) Salsa Verde

1 - 28 oz. can of San Marcos brand Napalitos ( sliced pricey pear cactus leaves...kind of look like frenched green beans...)

3 - lbs. ground meat - cold smoked if you can....

1 - packet ( roughly 1 tbs...I think) of Mazola Tomato Bouillon.

Approx 16 oz. of no salt chicken stock.

1 - tsp to 1 - tbs of granulated garlic...to suit your taste.

Cook this on low for a couple of hours. ( A couple means 2....except in parts of California, New York, Portland and Seattle....then use your own judgement ;) :D )

Pair this with tostadas, or tortillas if you like, and a Model Especial if you like a beer.

teesquare:

--- Quote from: Pappymn on March 14, 2018, 11:37:33 AM ---
--- Quote from: teesquare on March 14, 2018, 11:36:23 AM ---Snow...yeah we need that like a fish needs a bicycle......

--- End quote ---
I'd sure like to give that a try

--- End quote ---

Which part...Snow?...or fish on a bicycle?...I would skip the fish. The bicycle gets stuck in your teeth....

HighOnSmoke:
Looks real tasty Tim!

Roget:
That looks & sounds great T.

teesquare:
Thanks guys...It is one of those dishes that every family in the Southwest has a recipe - and theirs is special to them. This one is just a short cut version. If I wanted to be true to the tradition - I would have peeled tomatillos, and found dried hominy, and spent most of a day making it.  :D And - the likely meat would have been some leftover roasted pork as the favorite protein in a pasole. The smoked Elk works well in this one.

But - it is a passable, very flavorful pasole - with a mild amount of kick ( heat from the peppers).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version