Author Topic: Baby Back Ribs on Pellet Grill vs Bradley  (Read 1352 times)

Offline zueth

Baby Back Ribs on Pellet Grill vs Bradley
« Reply #-1 on: March 23, 2018, 07:10:15 PM »
I have always done Baby Backs 3-2-1 on the Bradley @ 225.  How should I modify my technique when using a pellet grill?  start off at 180 for 2 hours to get smoker then bump up to 225 for the rest of cook? or higher like 250?  continue to do 3-2-1?  Thanks.

Offline rwalters

« on: March 23, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »
I personally prefer my ribs cooked the entire time at 225°. I don’t wrap and I start spritzing with 50/50 ACV/Apple juice at the 2 hour mark and then repeat every 30-45 min til done. Approx 5 hours for babybacks and 6-6.5 hours for St. Louis spares. I sometimes glaze during the last hour.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline KJRsmoker

Re: Baby Back Ribs on Pellet Grill vs Bradley
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »
I'm no rib expert, but I like the way mine come out - not fall off the bone but very tender.  Here's what I do with my Costco baby backs:

I cook on smoke for an hour then raise the temp to 225F and continue to cook for an additional 2 hours.  I then take the ribs off, double wrap in foil with butter, brown sugar, honey, and a little more rub.  With the temperature raised up to 250F, I continue to cook for another 2 hours.  When the 2 hours is up, I unwrap, sauce, and then back on the smoker for another 30 minutes to let the sauce set.

Here are some pictures from previous cooks

2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »
I like to go 250-275 on mine and although I do foil, I do not go all "Johnny Trigg" on them. I will add a little sauce to the racks and that is that.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »
I do them similar to KJR. I slather with yellow mustard or mayo (yes mayo- don't knock it until you try it), add salt, pepper and some rub (lightly). Put it in at 245* and set the RecTec to extra smoke. Cook it that way for about 2 hrs, spritzing every 1/2 hour or so. Then turn off the extra smoke and cook for another hour. I then double wrap in foil with Parkay, brown sugar, honey, and a little BBQ sauce. Back in for another 1 1/2 to 1 45min.  Pull it , carefully open the foil and save the juice. Pour the juice over the ribs, add some sauce and back on the smoker uncovered for another 45 min-hour. Always comes out great.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Roget

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:38:03 PM »
I have been doing my pellet ribs about the same as I do in the Bradley (3-2-1 @225°), & they come out really good, But I'm going to try some other ways to see if I can improve on them.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 08:25:04 AM »
I like a spritz of equal parts grenadine and ACV.  The ACV for a little tart and grenadine for the sweet PLUS color...especially if you are cooking unwrapped.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »
I like a spritz of equal parts grenadine and ACV.  The ACV for a little tart and grenadine for the sweet PLUS color...especially if you are cooking unwrapped.

Now THAT sounds interesting, Jack.  Gonna have to dig through the liquor cabinet to see if I've still got any . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 05:59:38 PM »
That sounds interesting to me too.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109