Author Topic: You guys are making me indecisive!!!  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
Re: You guys are making me indecisive!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
What are the major differences between the 1 Star and the 2 Star besides a heavier use of stainless steel?

Just looking at the pictures, I had assumed the 2 was bigger, but they are the same size.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline rwalters

You guys are making me indecisive!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »
What are the major differences between the 1 Star and the 2 Star besides a heavier use of stainless steel?

Just looking at the pictures, I had assumed the 2 was bigger, but they are the same size.
Good question!

Yes, there’s the stainless steel (super high quality).

You get pretty much all of the MAK 1 add-ons as standard equipment on the 2 Star (Funnel Flame Zone, side shelf and bottom shelf).

The 2 Star has the side cold smoker box whereas the 1 Star does not.

As much as I love my 2 Star, if you are only after a smoker, the stock 1 Star is really hard to beat. If you want all the bells and whistles along with the ability to grill, than the 2 Star quickly jumps to the front of the line.

Just my opinions :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 11:03:34 AM »
The Smoker Box is a $700 accessory. I was wondering about stock vs stock.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline rwalters

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »
The Smoker Box is a $700 accessory. I was wondering about stock vs stock.
The $700 cold smoker box is an add-on, yes. It’s huge!  But the 2 Star has the stock cold smoke box. It’s built into the right side shelf. Many also use it as a warmer box to place food in as its coming off the grill.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 11:09:37 AM »
I don't own a MAK. I have cooked on the Rec Tec and it is a great cooker. I own the Blaz'n Grillworks Grid Iron. All American made and built like a tank. It is heavy, coming in at 224 pounds. 1012 sq inches of cooking space with the included 1/2 upper shelf. You also update the pro controller to wifi. It costs $1449 standard but you can add the wifi and the pro shelf units which is roughly another 475. Yes, expensive, but it will last forever. I have had mine for nearly 5 years and I had to replace the controller due to hurricane damage and not covering it which was my fault. When I bought it I was torn between it, the Rec Tec and the Yoder. I went with what I thought was best for me. It was only $1299 in 2013, but it didn't come with the pro controller. I also own the Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett. It is my tailgater and lately my go to cooker for smaller meals.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 11:12:38 AM »

Main differences:

The MAK 2 Star:  Cook chamber is 304 grade Stainless steel,  already includes the FlameZone, and has the side warming box/cold-smoke chamber.  The rest of the 2 Star body is aluminized steel with a 1200° powder coat finish.

The Two Star also offers a couple of exclusive add-ons such as the Stainless Cabinet front (to give your grill an enclosed look), and the cold-smoker box (which sits atop and extends the cold-smoke chamber).

MAK 1 Star:  Cook chamber & body are the same aluminized steel, with a 1200° powder coat.  It has no side cold-smoke/warming box and the FlameZone is an optional add-on.

Otherwise, both grills have the same cook chamber size, have the same controller, 304 stainless grates, firepot, drip pans, etc., and offer most of the same add-ons such as upper grates, WiFi, Searing Grates, Griddle, etc.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 11:13:04 AM »
I completely overlooked that. I thought it was only a shelf. Cool idea.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 11:26:50 AM »
I have had 8 butts in my MAK. It's very tight but you can get-er-done ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 11:27:53 AM »
The 2 Star might be bigger overall, but I noticed that the footprint of where the legs actually touch, the 1 star has a wider base. I can see this being a plus for people in windier locations.

I don't see an advantage for me with what I own for the Flame Zone.  My Cook-Air will out sear it and takes less time to get up to temp than the MAK. And my flat top is a huge griddling/grilling machine.

So I guess it comes down to more stainless (longer lasting possibly) and the warming box. 

If its only that, I think the smarter play would be getting the 1 Star and take the saving to my the Mobile control unit and double shelf.

I think I've convinced myself into choosing MAK's quality over the Rec Tec. But the cheapskate in me is still drawn to those bull handles.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline skidog

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »
The 2 star weighs 235 pounds, not sure it will blow over. At least I've never heard of any issues.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »
The 2 Star might be bigger overall, but I noticed that the footprint of where the legs actually touch, the 1 star has a wider base. I can see this being a plus for people in windier locations.

I don't see an advantage for me with what I own for the Flame Zone.  My Cook-Air will out sear it and takes less time to get up to temp than the MAK. And my flat top is a huge griddling/grilling machine.

So I guess it comes down to more stainless (longer lasting possibly) and the warming box. 

If its only that, I think the smarter play would be getting the 1 Star and take the saving to my the Mobile control unit and double shelf.

I think I've convinced myself into choosing MAK's quality over the Rec Tec. But the cheapskate in me is still drawn to those bull handles.

You know my first wife was a real looker.... when we first met......HINT...HINT......HINT :D :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »
 ;D
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »
Choosing between those three grills means you can't lose.

NOW you have to choose between all the PELLET varieties.

My brain hurts to think about it.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 08:05:28 AM »
So I went ahead and pulled the traeger ;D on a smoker (not a traeger). Probably do a reveal in a couple days. Non stop rain and overtime will delay things for a bit.  Still have to reinstall the internals due to transport. But, I think I am more excited over the deal I got than the smoker itself. Can't wait to finally experience some good bbq up here in NH (one thing me and the wife are looking forward to when we go back to visit Florida in a couple weeks).
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline rwalters

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 08:32:16 AM »
So I went ahead and pulled the traeger ;D on a smoker (not a traeger). Probably do a reveal in a couple days. Non stop rain and overtime will delay things for a bit.  Still have to reinstall the internals due to transport. But, I think I am more excited over the deal I got than the smoker itself. Can't wait to finally experience some good bbq up here in NH (one thing me and the wife are looking forward to when we go back to visit Florida in a couple weeks).
CONGRATS!!! Well, guess I’ll have to double up on my sleep meds til further notice :(