Author Topic: Should I order parts from my old Weber Grill or Upgrade  (Read 13993 times)

Offline zueth

Should I order parts from my old Weber Grill or Upgrade
« Reply #-1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:29:04 PM »
Bamabob's post got me inspired to look at fixing up my 2005 Weber Genesis Platinum.  I took it apart and the flavorizer bars, burner tuber set, and grill all really need to be replaced.  Which would be about $160.  Would I be better off just buying a new Charbroil Infared grill? I primarily only use it for cooking veggies and potatoes.  Use my SRG and pellet grill for other stuff.

Offline rwalters

« on: April 10, 2018, 01:35:09 PM »
Rebuilt Weber vs Char-Broil? IMO, Weber all the way :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline zueth

Re: Should I order parts from my old Weber Grill or Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »
Let me re-phrase should I re-build my Weber or replace with a new Weber/Char Broil/etc....whatever grill would be best replacement.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 01:55:02 PM »
Let me re-phrase should I re-build my Weber or replace with a new Weber/Char Broil/etc....whatever grill would be best replacement.
If you've been happy with your 2005 Weber, and can bring it back to it's glory days for $160... that's a heck of a lot cheaper than a new Weber.  However, if your jonesing for a new grill, and have cash to burn, the new Webers look pretty sweet :)  Me, I'd probably rebuild the old...  they are tanks :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »
I am the wrong person to ask.......new CB all the way
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 09:03:08 PM »
An old Weber will outlast a new Char-Broil easily. Invest your money in your Weber, don't waste it on something that is going to fall apart......sooner than later.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline zueth

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 11:10:18 PM »
I had forgot how much a new Weber is until I went and looked at em today. I think I will be buying some parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rwalters

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 11:31:55 PM »
I had forgot how much a new Weber is until I went and looked at em today. I think I will be buying some parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent decision! :)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 08:16:58 AM »
For me it was a no-brainer.  I paid $1200 for my Weber back in 2006.  To rebuild it into literally a new one for $181 saved me $$$$.
I've looked at some of the newer Webers, still great grills but didn't appear to be built like the tanks they were building 10-15 years ago.
Where'd you get the pricing for your parts?  When I called Weber I was calling primarily to get the part numbers, thinking I could find them cheaper online.  Most online pricing for the flavorizer bars alone was around $169.  The customer service rep gave me a price close to $159, then said, "I can give you a better price than that, let me check."  I figured she come back with something like $145, blew me away when they ended up being $100.  Same for the grates and burner set.  Got everything for $181 which included the $7 for shipping.  The cookbox was totally free, even shipping which came via freight carrier.  18 wheeler pulled up to my house.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline zueth

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
I found pricing on Weber's website and then looked online to try to find cheaper, flavorizers were cheaper online, but burner tube set and grill grates were about the same.  I will call and see what they say, my cook box could use replacement too.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 11:40:12 AM »
I found pricing on Weber's website and then looked online to try to find cheaper, flavorizers were cheaper online, but burner tube set and grill grates were about the same.  I will call and see what they say, my cook box could use replacement too.
Still would be a good deal.

CharBroil makes good grills, but the infrared heat is to much for certain parts and the will FAIL not mater how good you clean and take care of them it's just the way it is.

But will tell you I do love my SRG's and Big Easy's and very little issues with them but my HeatWave infrare grill (oldest son has it now) is one it's second set of imitters
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline zueth

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »

CharBroil makes good grills, but the infrared heat is to much for certain parts and the will FAIL not mater how good you clean and take care of them it's just the way it is.

But will tell you I do love my SRG's and Big Easy's and very little issues with them but my HeatWave infrare grill (oldest son has it now) is one it's second set of imitters

Thanks, I love my SRG too, but think I will stick with my 2005 weber.