Author Topic: Veggies on the Pellet Grill  (Read 1390 times)

Offline zueth

Veggies on the Pellet Grill
« Reply #-1 on: April 10, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
I have been debating re-building my old Weber Gas Grill that i mostly use for grilling asparagus, broccoli, potatoes,etc as side when I am cooking the meat on the pellet grill or SRG.  I was curious, how many people cook veggies on the pellet grill? i.e. can I use the pellet grill for both or should I fix my old Weber and continue to use it?

Offline rwalters

« on: April 10, 2018, 04:12:14 PM »
I cook veggies on my MAK quite often,  but it also has direct flame capability. Veggies turn out great!  I don’t have a gas grill, but if I did, I’d probably use it over my MAK for veggies, purely for ease.  I used to have a Weber Genesis with GrillGrates. It was a veggie (among other things) grillin’ machine :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Veggies on the Pellet Grill
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:27:28 PM »
I have been debating re-building my old Weber Gas Grill that i mostly use for grilling asparagus, broccoli, potatoes,etc as side when I am cooking the meat on the pellet grill or SRG.  I was curious, how many people cook veggies on the pellet grill? i.e. can I use the pellet grill for both or should I fix my old Weber and continue to use it?
A set of GrillGrates would really help you on a pellet grill as far as grilling, BUT the SRG is so easy and faster to use for that

Just saying  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 05:13:15 PM »
A set of GrillGrates would really help you on a pellet grill as far as grilling, BUT the SRG is so easy and faster to use for that

Just saying

Until joining this forum, I have never seen a group of guys talk more highly of the SRG.  Heck, I didn't even know what it was...lol.  I am ignorant... but what makes the SRG so special compared to something like a Weber Genesis (I ask because I really do not know)?  If I were standing inside Lowe's or Home Depot, and you were an employee on the sales floor, how would you sell me on the SRG (what makes it stand out)?

MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline zueth

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:39:35 PM »

Just saying  ;)

Good point, but what about when I am grilling a few steaks on the SRG and don't have room for the asparagus on the SRG :)  sounds like i should keep the Weber Genesis for the veggies

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »
We cook all kinds of veggies on our pellet grill all the time.  Depending on the meat and/or veggie, will determine if it's cooked right along side the meat or timed so the meat or veggie goes on later, etc.

Zucchini, Acorn squash, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Brussels sprouts, corn on the cob, eggplant, roasted potatoes, tator tots... the list goes on.

And it's not just veggies.  There's casseroles, stuffing/dressing, mac & cheese, stuffed cabbage rolls, scalloped potatoes, etc.

Desserts are KILLER on a pellet grill: pies, cobblers, apple crisp, and you have not had a cheesecake until you've baked one on your pellet grill!

Basically anything you can do in your oven can be done on your pellet grill.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Gtsum2

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:18:04 PM »
I do a lot of veggies on the pellet.

Grilled romaine

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Roget

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 10:47:08 PM »
I have cooked veggies on the pellet grill a couple of times. Like Tommy, I usually do my veggies on the SRG.
I just got my pellet grill this past winter so I haven't mastered it yet. I plan on trying more veggies on it this summer when I have them coming out of my garden. :)
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline zueth

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 11:09:19 PM »
I assume when doing veggies on PG everybody is using direct heat and not indirect ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 11:42:55 PM »
I assume when doing veggies on PG everybody is using direct heat and not indirect ?

No. Some are grilled direct, some are roasted indirect. It depends on the veggie and what you want to do with it.  In fact I'd say the majority of what we do is done indirect.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline zueth

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 01:22:47 AM »

No. Some are grilled direct, some are roasted indirect. It depends on the veggie and what you want to do with it.  In fact I'd say the majority of what we do is done indirect.
Ok I could see that now that you say that, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 07:09:17 AM »
My Memphis is super for grilling veggies!  A favorite of mine is asparagus coated with a little EVOO and a little ground black pepper.  Only takes a few minutes and goes great as a side with anything.  I also like to grill thick slabs of Vidalia onions when they're in season.  Mesquite pellets will give them just a tinge of smoke.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 08:04:51 AM »

Just saying

Until joining this forum, I have never seen a group of guys talk more highly of the SRG.  Heck, I didn't even know what it was...lol.  I am ignorant... but what makes the SRG so special compared to something like a Weber Genesis (I ask because I really do not know)?  If I were standing inside Lowe's or Home Depot, and you were an employee on the sales floor, how would you sell me on the SRG (what makes it stand out)?
Easy, but I'll start another thread in the SRG section, not here.     
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION