Author Topic: Memphis cooks  (Read 3216 times)

Offline solobaric

Re: Memphis cooks
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 10:25:17 PM »
Did you marinade the ham the night before in a ziplock bag? Or throw it all in the pan and cook it?
Traeger Little Texas Elite

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 07:35:06 AM »
Did you marinade the ham the night before in a ziplock bag? Or throw it all in the pan and cook it?

Just mix it all up in a container and shake it a bit and dump in aluminum foil pan with ham and baste every 20 minutes or so

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 04:42:56 PM »
Did a “true” eastern Carolina style butt yesterday.  No rub...threw it on naked at 180...3 hours later I coated it liberally with course sea salt and bumped to 250 for another 6 hours or so then to 275 for about 2 more....it might of been the best butt I can recall cooking...got the workflow from an old timer from Carolina on another board. This is my new go to for pulled pork

Memphis Elite

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 04:45:05 PM »
Yard bird the other day...smoked at 250 for about 45 minutes then 400 for about 30 minutes. Crispy skin (although we don’t eat it except on the wings)

Memphis Elite

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 07:33:15 PM »
Sunday steak night. Indirect for about 30 minutes and reverse seared for about 60 seconds per side. Costco tenderloin...this one wasn’t very good...very tender, but little juice in the meat...the whole tenderloin has been like this. Must of got a subpar one

Memphis Elite

Offline solobaric

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 09:41:16 PM »
Really interested to try your Carolina style butt. Never seen it done that way. What temp did you try shoot for?
Traeger Little Texas Elite

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
I'm wanting to try a butt like that, too.

I've seen 'em cooked naked on TV.

This will give me a method to use.  Thanks.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 12:12:58 AM »
Great cooks.  I enjoy looking at the beautiful pic’s of your food and your writeup.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 06:52:08 AM »
Really interested to try your Carolina style butt. Never seen it done that way. What temp did you try shoot for?

I think it ended up around 207 or so. Wrapped in foil and into a cooler for 3 hours before I pulled and chopped it. Seems most of my butts are done 203-210 or somewhere in there...whenever it feels like jello:)

Memphis Elite

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 06:53:23 AM »
I'm wanting to try a butt like that, too.

I've seen 'em cooked naked on TV.

This will give me a method to use.  Thanks.

Apparently the trick is to start him naked until the meat sweats, then cover with course salt. Think I added the salt after about 3 hours of cooking

Memphis Elite

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 06:53:35 AM »
Great cooks.  I enjoy looking at the beautiful pic’s of your food and your writeup.

Thanks much!

Memphis Elite

Offline rwalters

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 10:13:26 AM »
Killer cooks! 

Regarding the tenderloin... perhaps it's just me, but in the past year or so (maybe more), I have been pretty disappointed in Costco's beef.  It looks great, but my results have been consistently disappointing.  Not sure why?!?!  I have MUCH better results when I buy from a small local meat market near my home.

As far as your Carolina style butt... man oh man that sounds good!  This method will be used for my next butt cook for sure!!  Thanks for sharing :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Deebo

Memphis cooks
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 11:33:39 AM »
Sunday steak night. Indirect for about 30 minutes and reverse seared for about 60 seconds per side. Costco tenderloin...this one wasn’t very good...very tender, but little juice in the meat...the whole tenderloin has been like this. Must of got a subpar one

Memphis Elite

Keep all these awesome cooks coming!!!
Question if you don’t mind.....are you pulling the steaks then cranking up and indirect searing or the insert? What temp or open flame setting are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 12:27:50 PM »
Killer cooks! 

Regarding the tenderloin... perhaps it's just me, but in the past year or so (maybe more), I have been pretty disappointed in Costco's beef.  It looks great, but my results have been consistently disappointing.  Not sure why?!?!  I have MUCH better results when I buy from a small local meat market near my home.

As far as your Carolina style butt... man oh man that sounds good!  This method will be used for my next butt cook for sure!!  Thanks for sharing :)

Agreed on the Costco meat lately...very weird...after defrosting (I buy sides and then cut up and vacuum seal), they haven’t looked right...not very bright and kind of dull looking......last two tenderloins were like his for some reason....I really, really liked the color and taste of the butt with just salt...

Memphis Elite

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »

Memphis Elite

Keep all these awesome cooks coming!!!
Question if you don’t mind.....are you pulling the steaks then cranking up and indirect searing or the insert? What temp or open flame setting are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I usually cook indirect at 180-200 for 30-45 minutes...until I think they r ready...usually around 110-115 internal. Pull them off and cover and crank pitt to 500 or so....when it’s climbing past 450 I swap out the deflector plate and put the sear plate on....around 500 I put the steaks on...30 seconds, twist for 30, then flip and repeat...or somewhere around here depending on thickness. Usually no more than 90 seconds total per side, otherwise it’s toasty. I’ve used open flame a few times, but honestly I don’t think it’s needed. The grate is so close to the open fire as you know.

For burgers, I’ve settled on 450 degrees with sear insert in but cook them on the middle shelf...keeps them from turning into a grease fire from all the fat dripping on the fire, but allows for a good all over sear

Memphis Elite