Author Topic: Memphis cooks  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 06:42:02 PM »
Wife and kids at a mother/son event at school, so fired up some venison burgers. 9oz each:). Had ideas of topping with a fried egg and candies jalepenos, but somehow forgot all about it

Offline rwalters

Memphis cooks
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »
Wife and kids at a mother/son event at school, so fired up some venison burgers. 9oz each:). Had ideas of topping with a fried egg and candies jalepenos, but somehow forgot all about it

Sounds yum, but where’s the pics? ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline rwalters

Memphis cooks
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 06:44:37 PM »

Sounds yum, but where’s the pics? ;)
Never mind... pics loaded... YUM!!!!!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »
So tried something new tonight. After smoking at 200 for 45 minutes or so, cranked temp up to 650 and seared for 2 minutes per side. Tasted ok, but definitely not preferable to direct sear for me. Won’t be doing this again:)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline rwalters

Memphis cooks
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 07:42:56 PM »
So tried something new tonight. After smoking at 200 for 45 minutes or so, cranked temp up to 650 and seared for 2 minutes per side. Tasted ok, but definitely not preferable to direct sear for me. Won’t be doing this again:)

Memphis Elite

So what is your preferred cooking method, start to finish?  Do you prefer a “reverse sear” style yardbird cook?  My preference is 350-400° start to finish. 

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Memphis cooks
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »
I see nothing...whatt happened to your pics?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 09:45:12 PM »
I see nothing...whatt happened to your pics?

X2!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:03 PM »

I had similar results on my Elite with a couple of NY Strips with the same procedure. They came out medium but super-dry. I chalked it up to the steaks being too thin and of poor quality... What was the disappointing factor on your cook, do you think?
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline Gtsum2

Memphis cooks
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »

I had similar results on my Elite with a couple of NY Strips with the same procedure. They came out medium but super-dry. I chalked it up to the steaks being too thin and of poor quality... What was the disappointing factor on your cook, do you think?

I prefer a good bit more char and caramelization. I generally reverse sear and do the searing over the open flame insert...usually sear for about 45 seconds per side around 450 and seem to get much better results than searing it indirectly at 650 for longer time. I also seem to get better wall to wall red...I’m not fond of well done bands on the edges

These were done with about 45 seconds of direct searing

Memphis Elite