Author Topic: Pellets equal noise?  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Jaxon

Pellets equal noise?
« Reply #-1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »
I've been watching videos of folks cooking with pellet grills and I've noticed they are pretty loud...some had a "pulsing" fan noise.
I am thinking of getting one and putting it on the patio, but if they are that noisy, I'll have to reconsider.

What do you think?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline rwalters

Re: Pellets equal noise?
« on: April 27, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »
Not sure what your definition of "to noisy" is... but, I don't think I've ever heard someone say that their pellet grill was to noisy to the point it was a problem.  Do you hear it running... absolutely.  Noisy... not to me.  Although the sound is not the same, I would say that it's no louder than your standard oscillating house fan (if that).
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:38:31 AM »
You can hear them, but I certainly wouldn't say it's "noisy". 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 12:03:05 PM »
I was watching this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=543s&v=jQzTz39oiYM and couldn't hear the guy over the noise.
<><

Offline rwalters

Pellets equal noise?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 12:15:24 PM »
I was watching this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=543s&v=jQzTz39oiYM and couldn't hear the guy over the noise.
WOW, now I understand the concern. I have never heard a pellet grill like that. I do believe that the higher end pellet grills will be quieter as they have higher quality parts that tend to move as smooth as butter, but even my old Traeger wasn’t noisy. Bottom line, I would not let noise deter me from experiencing the beauty of pellet cooking :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
That is the fan noise Jaxon. My Davy Crockett does the same thing. Not loud enough to bother me as it is not that close to the house. On the other hand my Blaz'n Grillworks Grid Iron is absolutely quiet. The only way I can tell it is running is by the smoke. Of course it is a tank and a lot more expensive than the Green Mountain grills. I am bringing my Davy Crockett to your place on the 11th of May so you will hear first hand how it sounds. Not all pellet grills are the same.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »
I suspect noise issue was caused from poor sound equipment or positioning. As others have said there is fan noise but would it make having a discussion with someone difficult, well not in my experience. The MAK uses an axial variable speed fan so it does ramp up and then down but the noise level is not at all annoying. Music to my ears frankly as it means it is controlling the heat nicely. Agreed about some of the grills maybe using parts that are not as good but like anything else, you get what you pay for, or least we all hope you do.
MAK #3591

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
I  don't yet own a pellet grill but my buddies Traeger  is pretty darn loud. 
Loud enough that we  will walk away  if we are having a conversation.
Happy to hear they aren't all that loud.
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline rwalters

Pellets equal noise?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »
A couple of years ago, I was visiting one of my favorite bbq shops. They sell numerous brands of pellet grills, including GMG, Traeger and Memphis (used to carry MAK before they went direct). The shop owner had a fan from a GMG and one from a MAK on display. He did this so that you could spin them and see/feel the difference. It was very apparent that job do get what you pay for in the world of pellet cookers. The difference was VERY noticeable.

Offline skidog

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »
My little DC certainly isn't whisper quiet but I feel like he had that mic down by the grill, even him touching the tin foil was extremely loud. I've sat on the deck with family many times with the DC running and it in no way affected conversation.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 09:05:03 PM »
Thanx for the replies...

At my age, I'm thinking that just about any grill will last a lifetime.  I find it very hard to pull the trigger on a MAK or RecTec simply because of the $$$.  I'm looking for a grill that will handle about 4 racks of ribs or 2 Boston butts, so it doesn't have to be a big one.

I am considering a GMG Daniel Boone at this time.  There is a dealer right here in Byron.  I'll check out Mike's grill when he is here in a couple of weeks.
<><

Offline Roget

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 11:42:32 PM »
I can attest to the fact that not all GMGs sound like that.
As others have posted, my Davey Crockett doesn't make any thing close to that amount of noise.
You can hear the auger when it is pushing pellets & you cab hear the fan, but not like his.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 09:29:44 AM »
Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone is a solid performer at the price point Jack. Now there fan "pulses" on and off. It does not run steady.

I promise the noise will not bother you.

Having a dealer close by is helpful if you ever need replacement parts for your Boone.

Getting a downdraft hood is a must. They really work great in GMG pellet grills.

Get your grill first and then I will set you up for the downdraft hood.  First things first!!  Also ask your dealer for some GMG Gold Blend pellets. Real nice mix.

Here you go, keep you motivated
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 01:29:41 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement and help, Smoke...
<><

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 04:53:39 PM »
you are welcome Jack. As much as I love my MAK pellet grill, I am sure glad I got my big Charcoal Grill. It is great having both styles.

When you are pressed for time or you want to smoke something but have other things to do, the pellet grill will be your best friend.

But when I have time, I am starting a fire and maintaining it myself.......but sadly, I have more busy days than days with nothing to do and the MAK gets fired up.

Nice thing is, your chores get done and you have grub that tastes as good or better than you would get by cooking it yourself all day.  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32