Author Topic: New(to me) Kamado Joe Classic and questions  (Read 796 times)

Offline Deebo

New(to me) Kamado Joe Classic and questions
« Reply #-1 on: May 18, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »
Found this thing and all the parts shown here for $350. I am pretty stoked and excited to get playing with it.

Looks real nice next to the Memphis

The new parts came with because, naturally, the fire pot and fire ring are cracked/broken. As you can see here they can still be setup and feels real solid still.

Can I safely cook with this thing like it is until it just isn’t structurally staying together anymore and prolong the like of my new parts or do I need to go ahead and assemble it with the new parts so there is no danger to the Outer shell itself?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: New(to me) Kamado Joe Classic and questions
« on: May 18, 2018, 10:46:42 AM »
I sold kamado Joe's for 3 years.  Yes you can cook with it like that.  No worries mate.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline rwalters

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
Nice score! I cooked on Kamado Joe’s for quite a few years, and experienced my fair share of cracked firebowls/rings. Use to freak me out. Took a bit, but I finally came to the realization that a crack or two (or three) didn’t make one bit of difference. As long as I could occasionally remove the “pieces” for a deep clean underneath (once/year), then I was a-ok. The only thing I’d replace on that KJ is the lid gasket as it looks shot. As far as the ceramic replacement parts, tuck them away until you really need them. Could be years down the road...

Oh yeah, go around the base/lid and make sure that all of the screws are nice and tight. Check em’ 2-3 times each year.

Other than that, enjoy my friend :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Deebo

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 11:15:42 AM »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help and assurance.

I think I will replace the gasket anyway but it held a dollar bill tight all the way around it. There is a small gap in the top of the bottom vent where it seals to the ceramic.....I have some black hi temp caulk....it is the flexible type...like 1200 degree rated.....should that be ok to use?

I saw a few of your replies poking around Kamado Guru Mr. Walters.....your normal enthusiastic helpful self

Offline rwalters

Re: New(to me) Kamado Joe Classic and questions
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:31:05 AM »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help and assurance.

I think I will replace the gasket anyway but it held a dollar bill tight all the way around it. There is a small gap in the top of the bottom vent where it seals to the ceramic.....I have some black hi temp caulk....it is the flexible type...like 1200 degree rated.....should that be ok to use?

I saw a few of your replies poking around Kamado Guru Mr. Walters.....your normal enthusiastic helpful self

Speaking of Kamado Guru... this was one of the best things that I ever did for my JOE.  Super simple, super cheap... and performance wise, it was a game changer.

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/5581-easy-fix-top-vent-main-closure-hold-position-with-open-lid/

And regarding the 1200 degree caulk... yep, should work just fine.  I used to use clear as I felt it looked a bit cleaner and less noticeable... but if you already have a tube of black caulk, go for it.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)