Author Topic: Jerky Time  (Read 631 times)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
Jerky Time
« Reply #-1 on: May 26, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »
Took my first swing at making jerky.

About six pounds of eye of round from Costco, slightly frozen, and a new jerky cutting board from Cabelas (made by Hi Mountain).

Slicing was pretty easy with this contraption.

Cabela's Jerky Making Kit includes seasoning and cure. This variety pack has enough to do 25 lbs. I went with two flavors, Sweet and Hot, and Hickory.

The cure turns the meat brown pretty quick. Into the fridge for 24 hours.

Ran out of Lumber Jack, so picked this up at Sportsman's Warehouse, fifteen bucks for a 28 lb bag. We'll give it a whirl.

Into the smoker at 180. Took about 4.5 hours.

The fun part...

A peek at 2 hours in.

And the results.

Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Jerky Time
« on: May 26, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »
Jerky looks awesome! I like that board. I may have to grab one. The gold blend pellets are great. I have a couple bags of them and of their Texas blend. Love them both.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
Jerky looks awesome! I like that board. I may have to grab one. The gold blend pellets are great. I have a couple bags of them and of their Texas blend. Love them both.

The cutting board kit included the knife and was very stable with it's rubber feet and the meat surface is textured with little bumps so the meat doesn't slip. It has a 3/8" side and a 1/4" side. I used the 1/4" and it seemed to slice a little bit thicker than I thought it would. Nothing a few whacks with the tenderizing hammer couldn't handle. Overall meat prep time was about 10-15 minutes for six pounds of meat.

I was happy with the Gold Blend. Good smoke, nice flavor. In fact, I snuck a couple of Omaha Steak Filet Mignons in for an hour and the smokiness was just about perfect!

I also picked up a bag of the Texas Blend. Is it strong? I was thinking of using it for a brisket smoke in a couple of weeks...
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline Agustine

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »
Nice jerky
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.