Author Topic: Pellet Smoker Advice  (Read 1252 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Pellet Smoker Advice
« Reply #-1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
I need some advice. I have a friend that wants to get into pellet smoking. The best review out there is smokeasaurus which I have shown him.   It all comes down to price he’s not ready to spend that kind of cash.

He is looking at a Traeger but I would like to get advice about the other options.

Thanks Team ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline rwalters

Pellet Smoker Advice
« on: July 22, 2018, 11:02:07 AM »
I am a MAK owner, and a very happy one. With that said, it is my opinion that the Grilla Grills Silverbac is one of the best bangs for your buck on the market. If I didn’t have my MAK, and just wanted to see if pellet grills are for me... I’d probably have a Grilla Grilla Silverbac sitting in my backyard right now... and my guess is, I’d be very happy with it for many years to come :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Roget

Re: Pellet Smoker Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 11:26:15 AM »
If he is looking for less expensive options, he might want to look at the GMG grills.

I have two of their offerings, and I am very happy with both of them.

If he wants a non-Wifi model, he can get a full size grill for under $600.00
A Wifi model will run $350.00 for a portable. or $600.00 & change for a full size.

IMHO they are pretty well made & the customer service can't be beat.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »
If he is looking for less expensive options, he might want to look at the GMG grills.

I have two of their offerings, and I am very happy with both of them.

If he wants a non-Wifi model, he can get a full size grill for under $600.00
A Wifi model will run $350.00 for a portable. or $600.00 & change for a full size.

IMHO they are pretty well made & the customer service can't be beat.

I've owned a MAK 2 Star since 2011 and IMHO it's the best wood pellet smoker-grill on the market.

But having said that, I agree with Roget concerning the Green Mountain Grills (GMG). I also own a GMG Davy Crockett which I take on the road with me in the RV and use it at home when cooking small meals for the 2 of us. For the money, if I didn't own a MAK, I would get a WiFi Daniel Boone or a WiFi Jim Bowie.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »
If I had the money MAK no question  :thumbup:

But like a lot of folks I have to watch my $$.  For me the RecTec is hard to beat for the money and so far mines been bulletproof
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »
I am a MAK owner, and a very happy one. With that said, it is my opinion that the Grilla Grills Silverbac is one of the best bangs for your buck on the market. If I didn’t have my MAK, and just wanted to see if pellet grills are for me... I’d probably have a Grilla Grilla Silverbac sitting in my backyard right now... and my guess is, I’d be very happy with it for many years to come :)

Great minds think alike. Grilla makes good grills at great prices. Outstanding customer service as well. Shane Draper is on board with them and they offer great rubs and recipes to boot.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 03:27:21 PM »
I got the GMG Daniel Boone Wi-Fi last month and I really enjoy using it.  I'm one of those "budget minded" guys, too, but I think I did good with this one.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!