Author Topic: Initial Tips for Blazin Grid Iron  (Read 1000 times)

Offline phughesjr

Initial Tips for Blazin Grid Iron
« Reply #-1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »
So I made a decision about a month ago to get a Blaz'n Grid Iron as my first Pellet Grill to complement my BGE. It is arriving tomorrow afternoon and I was wondering if anyone had some tips and tricks and must-do's before I start cooking on it. I know there is an initial burn but I am speaking to stuff out of the ordinary that people do or wish they did. I have heard to wrap the heat deflector after the initial burn but before the initial cook. Also it is going on my back porch which is up 6-7 steps and must go across 30-40 yds of grass. Should I move the individual components to the porch first then assemble on the porch or assemble in the garage and roll it across the grass complete? Thanks guys, I am extremely excited to get rolling with it.

--Payne

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Initial Tips for Blazin Grid Iron
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:07:53 AM »
My RecTec is on my deck. When it was delivered, they put the pallet in my garage. Since I was by myself, I unpacked it, brought the components to my deck, and assembled it there. Otherwise I would have had to lift it up 5 stairs to get to the deck. No way I could have done that myself.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:32:25 AM »
I would do like Gus said, take parts to where it's gonna stay and build IT there.    Less hassle and less chance of it becoming a YouTube video of how not to tote a grill up stairs!  ;)

Congrats on the new pooper, your gonna have fun with it :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:25:13 AM »
Congrats on your new smoker partner.  Take parts to were your going to be using at.  Set up there.  I very important suggestion is get yourself some stretchy pants.  Your going to gain 10- 25 pounds within the first 6 months of owning it.  Have fun.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 12:10:15 PM »
Hmmm, where to start.  Regarding the initial burn in, I'd use an external therm and calibrate it right out of the gate; Tim Mickey can walk you through the process (takes less than 20 minutes, assuming you have your data points on internal temp vs. set temp). 

I personally did NOT wrap foil around my deflector plate, though I do wrap my drip pan in HD foil.  I don't see any benefit to wrapping the deflector as it's protected by the drip pan ... while it does accumulate a bit of pellet dust, it wipes off easily.

Now, on to the 400lb gorilla in the room ... moving it to your deck.  The delivery truck will drop it off mounted to a pallet; if you bought ProShelves and any other addons your total weight is going to be in that 400lb range.  Even if your lawn is flat and firm that will be a tough slog on a pallet jack.  Moreover, the dimensions of the pallet may not work with the deck stairs if they have handrails.

Facing a similar issue, I did the assembly in my garage.  Trust me when I say you'll need a second set of strong hands to hoist the grill chamber off the pallet and on to the legs or comp cart; you'll need 2-3 sets of strong hands to get this up on your deck, regardless of where you assemble.  Like a fool, I couldn't wait to get mine running and since two different friends couldn't get to me immediately I did the assembly single-handed and nearly gave myself a hernia in the process.  Once it was done, the Comp Wheels rolled pretty easily across my side lawn to the back of the house .  I was able to get mine up on a concrete patio (a rise of only about 6") and nearly dumped the thing over in the process; again, patience and extra hands are needed rather than scratching/denting your new Blaz'n.  Sadly, I say this as someone who had to find some high-heat semi-gloss touch-up paint to conceal a scratch on the back of the smoker.

If you do assemble it and then do a roll out, I'd remove all the interior shelves/grates and the front fold-down shelf to reduce the weight as much as possible.  Getting hands on all sides of the grill will be tough due to the pellet hopper not being a good grab point.  If you have some of those "forearm forklift" straps that would do the trick nicely with two strong people.

After your burn-in, lay in a stock of decent pellets (CookinPellets, Lumberjack, or Smoke Ring would be my three recommended pellets) because you'll blow through that 20lb. bag of BBQers Delight they send with the smoker quickly.  I'd pick some nice fatty pork (do thick cut bacon or a pork butt) for your first cook.  It will speed up the seasoning process, which will help cut down on free floating ash. 

I'd also buy a couple of accessories in preparation:
- a grill mat or outdoor industrial rubber-backed mat to place underneath the grill (to avoid any grease drips that might stain your porch surface.
- a secondary multi-probe thermometer (I use Fireboard, but plenty of other solid manufacturers out there).
- a compact shop-vac for cleaning out interior.
- a roll of the extra-wide heavy-duty Reynold's aluminum foil (to cover your drip pan, if you so choose).
- a weathertight garbage can or storage container to keep your pellets stored without issue.
- a can of Barkeeper's Friend to keep the stainless steel shelf looking nice and clean.
- a cover (if you didn't buy the great one that Blaz'n sells).

As I noted when you were researching the Blaz'n, I think you'll find it to be a great experience learning to use it and developing techniques that are pellet-specific.  I can't say enough good things about getting a set of GrillGrates if you want to use it for searing ... I literally haven't fired up my Weber gasser a single time since late December because my Blaz'n does it just as well.  Other than that, I hope you'll post about your experiences with the Grid Iron; this forum (and the FB Blaz'n Owners Group) are tremendous resources if you have any trouble.  Congrats on your new smoker!
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:00:24 PM »
Nice!!

Have fun with that,  looking forward to some  pics and reports of your cooks/experiences!!

Have been pondering a pellet grill  and The Grid Iron as well as the RecTec are hi on my list.

Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano