Recipes > Veggies, Casseroles, & Other Side Dishes

Post YOUR Cole Slaw Recipe here

(1/3) > >>

petef:
Everyone, I'm new here and the first thing I came looking for was Cole Slaw recipes. Seems like it might be useful to have one thread with some of the best Coleslaw recipes all listed in one place.

If you agree, please post your recipe, and it would be extra great if you could briefly describe what's unique about your recipe is ways of flavor, texture, or whatever. Is it sweet, or tangy, or low sugar, or crunchy, or similar in taste to some national brand that we can all relate to.

--pete--

petef:
Cole Slaw like Black Bear by pete

My goal here is to make Cole Slaw similar in taste to Black Bear ColeSlaw sold at Shop-Rite grocery stores here in NJ. More specifically, Black Bear has a tangy taste or bite that, for example, Mr Ron's Coleslaw does not. Both are great tasting products, but there's a tad too much sugar in Mr's Ron's brand.

I'm also looking to make this recipe a "reduced carb" cole slaw, but it's not a top priority. That's why I'm using Stevia and just a small amount of sugar. It's high carb otherwise.

Ok, here's what I have so far. The quantity is small because this is just an experiential batch.

Cole Slaw like Black Bear by pete

1.5   cups  Cabbage, shredded
1.0   tbsp  Carrot, shredded
3.0   tbsp   Mayonnaise (Helmans)
1.0   tsp    Horseradish
1.0   cube  Buttermilk (1 frozen cube = 1oz)
1.0   cube  Heavy Whipping cream (1 frozen cube = 1oz)
0.5   tsp    White vinegar
1.0   dash  White sugar (1 dash = 1/8 tsp)
3.0   drops Liquid Stevia
1.0   pinch Salt (1 pinch = 1/16 tsp)
0.25  tsp   Hot Cheyenne pepper, finely ground
3.0   tbsp  Reddi-Whip (spray whipcream)

Makes aprox. 9 ounces of Cole Slaw
Carbs = 16g
Calories = 360

For a 100 grams/3.5oz serving it's 6.4g carbs, 144 calories

CUBES - I buy my buttermiilk and heavy cream and immediately pour them into standard ice-cube trays and freeze them. Once frozen, I put them in ziplock bags to be used in various recipes. Each cube is 1oz. If I don't freeze them, they usually go bad because most recipes I have only call out for small amounts.

I'm hoping that the Black Bear or Mr Ron's brands are sold in YOUR area so that we are all understanding the flavor profile I'm looking for here.

This recipe has a good taste, but it's not exactly like Black Bear.

Update: I just found the Black Bear ingredients list online.
As you can see, I'm missing Cider vinegar, Onions, and Celery seeds
https://shop.shoprite.com/store/89081270/product/630003972921?clk_src=seopd&sc=SEOPD_CA_4795D138-B97E-465B-9428-AF62E970711D

Comments, changes, improvements are welcome. :)

UPDATE: I made corrections to the macros which previously showed way too many carbs & calories. Should be accurate now.

--pete--

Pam Gould:
Welcome and I fake the cole slaw recipe..I use cabbage, shredded with some carrots and a lil onion..then I use Marzetti's Slaw dressing, not too heavy on the dressing, but my secret ingredient is a tablespoon of horseradish, you can use more according to taste. Really kicks it up and you won't know it's not homemade. Enjoy  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Agustine:
I been using this one for years.

It goes well with just about anything from fried fish to hamburgers and is to die for on a pulled pork sandwich. If you are going to use it with BBQ, reduce the amount of dressing you add to the cabbage so its not to sloppy or not.

SLAW:
1 cabbage, coarsely grated
1 carrot, finely grated
1 sweet onion, minced
3 green onions, minced
1 medium sized dill pickle, minced

DRESSING:
1 garlic clove pulverized with a ¼ tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup dill pickle juice
1/8 cup vinegar
2 tbsp mustard
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. celery seed
Pinch cayenne pepper

1 Combine cabbage, carrot, onions and dill pickle in a large mixing bowl.
2 Whisk together mayonnaise and buttermilk. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until uniform.
3 Pour over cabbage mixture and incorporate.
For best results refrigerate over night to allow flavors to marry.

Big Dawg:
This, or a version of it, for me anyway, is the best slaw for BBQ:

Lexington Style BBQ Slaw

4 cups finely shredded cabbage
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 dashes hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Lert is sit for at least an hour in the fridge before serving.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version