Recipes > Veggies, Casseroles, & Other Side Dishes

Post YOUR Cole Slaw Recipe here

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ka Honu:
Cowgirl's Chipotle Slaw has always been one of my faves, especially with brisket, ribs, and pulled pork...

1/2 cup of mayo or salad dressing
     1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped (you can add more)
     salt to taste
     chopped onion
     a squeeze of lime juice
     1 bag of slaw cabbage
     Mix and chill

petef:

--- Quote from: Pam Gould on October 14, 2018, 06:07:19 AM ---Welcome and I fake the cole slaw recipe..I use cabbage, shredded with some carrots and a lil onion..then I use Marzetti's Slaw dressing, not too heavy on the dressing, but my secret ingredient is a tablespoon of horseradish, you can use more according to taste. Really kicks it up and you won't know it's not homemade. Enjoy  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

--- End quote ---

The way I see it, it's all good, as long as it tastes good. Sometimes I don't feel like making something from scratch and instead, I buy it fully prepared, take it home and doctor it up to my own preferences.

Good example, Mr Ron's Cole Slaw, sold in Acme stores. It a bit too sweet and not enough cabbage in the mix for my liking. So I buy 1 pound of Mr Ron's and also a small cabbage. I add about 3 cups of shredded cabbage, a tsp of lemon juice to that freshly cut cabbage, a sprinkle of salt, and 3 tablespoons mayonnaise. Mix all together and now I have double the original amount of Cole Slaw with an improved flavor to my specific tastes. 

I do this too with Chinese food where the Restaurant makes a great dish with uniquely flavored sauce. I take it home, add some freshly grilled peppers, onions, and mushrooms to bulk up the dish where I have enough leftovers to get another meal out of it.

Yep, nothing wrong with faking or cheating a recipe if the end product tastes good. :)

--pete--

petef:

--- Quote from: Big Dawg on October 14, 2018, 03:15:38 PM ---This, or a version of it, for me anyway, is the best slaw for BBQ:

Lexington Style BBQ Slaw

4 cups finely shredded cabbage
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 dashes hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Lert is sit for at least an hour in the fridge before serving.

--- End quote ---

That's a new one for me. Ketchup in the cole slaw.
Is this pic at link below what it looks like?
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/lexington-style-red-coleslaw-recipe.html

It's hard to imagine the taste. I'll have to try making a small batch.

--pete--

TMB:

--- Quote from: petef on October 15, 2018, 04:37:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: Big Dawg on October 14, 2018, 03:15:38 PM ---This, or a version of it, for me anyway, is the best slaw for BBQ:

Lexington Style BBQ Slaw

4 cups finely shredded cabbage
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 dashes hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Lert is sit for at least an hour in the fridge before serving.

--- End quote ---

That's a new one for me. Ketchup in the cole slaw.
Is this pic at link below what it looks like?
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/lexington-style-red-coleslaw-recipe.html

It's hard to imagine the taste. I'll have to try making a small batch.

--pete--

--- End quote ---
You never had a Slaw Dog?   Oh man one of lifes little pleasures

TMB:
Here it is, Asian slaw Kimmie's way 

2- 8.5 oz bags of shredded slaw
2- Beef flavored Romaine Noodles
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 cup toasted almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup of vegetable oil

Set beef packets aside  and crush noodles into a large bowl.  Layer seeds on top of noodles

Now in another bowl ,  mix beef packet, sugar, oil and vinegar in a bowl then add the slaw and mix well.

Now once that is done pour the slaw mixture over the noodles/seeds  but don't mix just let the slaw mixture sit on top. 
Now set in the fridge for 12 hrs and then serve

This is great for any dish and since you make it the night before it saves you time   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version