Author Topic: Joined the Pellet Cooking crowd.  (Read 2254 times)

Offline retfr8flyr

Re: Joined the Pellet Cooking crowd.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 09:21:08 PM »
It's finally here!! My 1300 arrived today. Here are the obligatory unboxing and final assembly pics. Just ignore the mess in the garage, when I shut the pool up this year everything just got thrown inside and I haven't ever cleaned up. I will get it fired up and seasoned tomorrow and then some Ribs for dinner.

Earl
Grills are Kamado Joe Big Joe, Akorn, Akorn Jr. and  Camp Chef Flat Top 600 griddle

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 09:56:55 PM »
That's nice.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 10:37:45 PM »
Oh yeah! Welcome to the club. You're gonna love it.
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline rwalters

Joined the Pellet Cooking crowd.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 08:19:49 AM »
Yes!!!! Congrats :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 10:00:46 AM »
Nice looking grill  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »
Nice!
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline retfr8flyr

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
First cook in my Timberline 1300! I got my grill seasoned today and did a couple baby back rib racks for dinner. I am really impressed with this grill. It was 36° outside this morning when I fired up the grill, for the burn in. The grill went from dead cold to 500° in 35 minutes. I think that is outstanding. I did my ribs at 225° on SS for 3 hours and then turned it up to 250° and finished them off. They came out great, these are no wrap, no sauce ribs and they came out very moist and tender. I used Oakridge BBQ Competition rub for the first time and it is a great rub, good flavor with a little kick too it. These are some of the best ribs I have made, I am really loving this grill. Here are some pics.

Peeked when I turned it up to 250°

Finished and inside the house.

First cut.

Earl
Grills are Kamado Joe Big Joe, Akorn, Akorn Jr. and  Camp Chef Flat Top 600 griddle

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
I would love to help you clean those bones  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline retfr8flyr

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 01:07:26 PM »
I would love to help you clean those bones  :thumbup:
You would have loved them. These were so good, it's hard to describe. My ribs from my Big Joe are always good but these, with that rub, were some of the best I have ever made. For the last few years I have been doing ribs dry and not saucing them on the grill. I have found I prefer the bark developed, over adding sauce while on the grill. I will sometime add sauce as I eat them but usually I eat them as is, they come out moist enough not to really need sauce.
Earl

Offline retfr8flyr

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 10:21:53 PM »
Did a spatchcocked chicken tonight. It was without a doubt the best chicken I have ever cooked. I am really loving this grill.

Earl

Offline rwalters

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 01:27:42 AM »
Did a spatchcocked chicken tonight. It was without a doubt the best chicken I have ever cooked. I am really loving this grill.

Fantastic looking bird! What temp was that cooked at?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
Man, you are off to a great start! Those ribs look great and that chicken looks perfect. What rub and temp did you use on the chicken?
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline retfr8flyr

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 03:31:35 PM »

Sorry guys, I usually post the cooking method, This bird was done with McCormicks Grillmates Brown Sugar Bourbon rub, this is one of my favorite rubs for chicken. I cooked it at 375° until an internal of 165° in the breast. No fancy Super Smoke or anything, just a straight 375° cook. This is why I was so impressed with this bird. I have made this cook lots of times, on different types of cookers. My Big Joe always turned out the best bird and I really didn't think anything could beat it. This bird was hands down the best I have ever done. I am just so impressed with this grill and I am so glad I got the Tmberline 1300, This cook was done with the outdoor temps in the 20's and it only took an hour and used maybe a pound and a half of pellets.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:03:51 PM by retfr8flyr »
Earl

Offline rwalters

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 04:50:01 PM »

Sorry guys, I usually post the cooking method, This bird was done with McCormicks Grillmates Brown Sugar rub, this is one of my favorite rubs for chicken. I cooked it at 375° until an internal of 165° in the breast. No fancy Super Smoke or anything, just a straight 375° cook. This is why I was so impressed with this bird. I have made this cook lots of times, on different types of cookers. My Big Joe always turned out the best bird and I really didn't think anything could beat it. This bird was hands down the best I have ever done. I am just so impressed with this grill and I am so glad I got the Tmberline 1300, This cook was done with the outdoor temps in the 20's and it only took an hour and used maybe a pound and a half of pellets.
Up until now, Big Joe was the chicken cooking machine... and now you say that the pellet grill topped it. Curious to know what was better in your opinion with the pellet cooked chicken vs what used to come from your KJ? What made it better?

Offline retfr8flyr

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 08:19:52 PM »
Yes I actually think the 1300 topped my Big Joe on the chicken. It's hard to describe the difference in flavor, the charcoal in the BJ gives a sharper, some describe it as a dirty flavor, where the pellet gives a lighter cleaner flavor that, for me, it really works on chicken. I think the fact that the pellets burn cleaner, like a well kept stick burner, and the constant blower airflow is almost like a rotisserie effect but the chicken doesn't move. Maybe I'm crazy but I like the flavor better.

Now I did a standing rib roast tonight and I would rate it as a toss up between my Joetisserie and the 1300 and that's really saying something for the 1300. I got busy with some family and only got a pic after I started slicing pieces. I cooked this at 225° on SS until 125° internal. I then pulled it off and wrapped in foil, while the grill came up to 500°. It's 36° outside and it only took 15 minutes to get to temp. I then put it back on and seared it on all sides. The roast was fabulous, a real winner, very flavorful, juicy and tender. Here is the only pic I have of the roast.

Earl