Author Topic: Smoked Dry Rubbed Tri Tips  (Read 803 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Smoked Dry Rubbed Tri Tips
« Reply #-1 on: December 23, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »

Doesn't get any easier than this ... Check out these Costco Choice Grade Tri Tips

Preheat your wood pellet smoker-grill to 235ºF with cookinpellets.com Premium Perfect Mix pellets ... Smoke your Tri Tips for approximately 2¼ hours at 235ºF untill the internal temperature reaches 145°F. Rest loosely under a foil tent for 15 minutes before slicing. Be aware that Tri Tips have multiple grain directions.

Yes, I'm aware that many people pull their Tri Tips at a lower temp than 145ºF but I've found that it works out great for everyone ... As you can see from the photo below ... Who wouldn't want to sink their teeth into some of the slices?

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Smoked Dry Rubbed Tri Tips
« on: December 23, 2018, 08:49:04 PM »
Awesome!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline akjeff

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 09:14:38 PM »
Looks great Pete! Love that tri tip! :thumbup:
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 08:46:48 AM »
Perfect Pete. Tri-Tips are the only thing I miss from California.......................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 10:10:59 AM »
Looks perfect to me. Too bad they are like unicorns in Minnesota

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 10:14:55 AM »
Perfect Pete. Tri-Tips are the only thing I miss from California.......................
Ahhh c’mon, there’s more to miss about California than tri-tip!!!

Hmmmm, at least I think there is (scratching head)...
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 10:16:39 AM »
Those Tri Tips look perfect! I agree with the 145° temp. I much prefer the texture of TT at 145° vs 135°. Have you done a “trisket” yet? That’s one thing I have been wanting to try for a few years now, but just never have.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 12:24:32 PM »
Those Tri Tips look perfect! I agree with the 145° temp. I much prefer the texture of TT at 145° vs 135°. Have you done a “trisket” yet? That’s one thing I have been wanting to try for a few years now, but just never have.

Yes, I have done a "Trisket" and it was an unqualified success. Very moist and tender results. Sure is a lot easier to cook than a Brisket and to me tasted a lot better than a Brisket. Since there's only the 2 of us at home, it's a lot cheaper to smoke/cook a TRISKET than spend $40 - $60+ for a Brisket! I used a USDA Prime Tri Tip from Costo.

Smoked the Tri Tip at 225ºF for 2 hours till the internal temperature reached 140ºF ... double wrapped the Tri Tip in heavy duty foil and increased the pit temperature to 300ºF ... Removed the Trisket when the internal temperature reached 200ºF ... Rested the Trisket for 15 minutes before carving against the grain ... For planning purposes only: Total time ~ 4 hours --> 30 min preheat / 2 hours @225ºF / hour & 15 minutes @300ºF / Rest 15 min.

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline rwalters

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »

Yes, I have done a "Trisket" and it was an unqualified success. Very moist and tender results. Sure is a lot easier to cook than a Brisket and to me tasted a lot better than a Brisket. Since there's only the 2 of us at home, it's a lot cheaper to smoke/cook a TRISKET than spend $40 - $60+ for a Brisket! I used a USDA Prime Tri Tip from Costo.

Smoked the Tri Tip at 225ºF for 2 hours till the internal temperature reached 140ºF ... double wrapped the Tri Tip in heavy duty foil and increased the pit temperature to 300ºF ... Removed the Trisket when the internal temperature reached 200ºF ... Rested the Trisket for 15 minutes before carving against the grain ... For planning purposes only: Total time ~ 4 hours --> 30 min preheat / 2 hours @225ºF / hour & 15 minutes @300ºF / Rest 15 min.

Oh my word!!!!! Ok, you have absolutely pushed me over the trisket cliff... it’s gonna happen soon!!!

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »
All I want for Christmas is for my Costco to carry prime tri-tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109