Author Topic: Problem with DB GMG  (Read 1545 times)

Offline zueth

Problem with DB GMG
« Reply #-1 on: December 28, 2018, 12:07:25 PM »
I cooked a breakfast fatty and for about last 10-15 minutes I bumped up temp to 500 to crisp bacon. After I pulled the fatty and dropped temp down to 225 I noticed that smoke was coming out of hopper. Further investigation I noticed pellets where not being fed into smoke box and therefor temp was not increasing. I turned off grill and took it apart and cleaned out every thing. Turned on grill with everything pulled out so I could see if auger was working. It was working but only a few pellets advancing, after going through a few cycles it started advancing pellets like normal and increasing temp.  It seems the higher temp setting caused auger to get jammed with smaller/broken pellets(not sure). Anybody ran into this before? Should I not use the higher setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jaxon

Re: Problem with DB GMG
« on: December 28, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »
I've had my DB for about 4 months, but a high temp cook only once...no problem with it.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Pappymn

Problem with DB GMG
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:15:24 PM »
From my understanding pellet grills do not like going from really high heat to low heat. I think folks here suggest you just open the lid. Others will chime in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 11:43:41 AM »
I use to sell green mountain grills.  Pappy is right.  If your using 500 degrees and turn it down to low from a high heat pellet grills don't like that.  Bad juju.  You can use high great all you want but then turn it to 350 for 15-20 minutes or so and then down to 225.  What happens is you have a full fire pot of pellets then you turn it down to low so since the grill is already at high heat no pellets will be fed because your controller is trying to cool the grill.  Full fire pot no pellets being fed they like to burn back in the auber tube.  All the way back to your hopper.  Bad juju.  So use high heat then to medium then to low then off. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:28:47 PM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline zueth

Problem with DB GMG
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 12:20:01 PM »
I use to sell green mountain grills.  Pappy is right.  If your using 500 degrees and turn it down to low from a high heat pellet grills don't like that.  Bad juju.  You can use high great all you want but then turn it to 350 for 15-20 minutes or so and then down to 225.  What happens is you have a full fire pot of pellets then you turn it down to low so since the grill is already at high heat no pellets will be fed because your controller is trying to cool the grill.  Full fire pot no pellets being fed they like to burn back in the aubergine tube.  All the way back to your hopper.  Bad juju.  So use high heat then to medium then to low then off.
Thank you very much for the info.

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »
I use to sell green mountain grills.  Pappy is right.  If your using 500 degrees and turn it down to low from a high heat pellet grills don't like that.  Bad juju.  You can use high great all you want but then turn it to 350 for 15-20 minutes or so and then down to 225.  What happens is you have a full fire pot of pellets then you turn it down to low so since the grill is already at high heat no pellets will be fed because your controller is trying to cool the grill.  Full fire pot no pellets being fed they like to burn back in the aubergine tube.  All the way back to your hopper.  Bad juju.  So use high heat then to medium then to low then off.
Thank you very much for the info.

My MAK** will do the same thing if I don't step down in increments. Opening the lid makes it a short process.

Offline Lines

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 09:51:13 PM »
Yes, Thanks Sparky. I'll know better than to try that with our new grill.

Offline Pappymn

Problem with DB GMG
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 11:31:47 PM »
New? Introduce yourself to the folks. Great people here

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

Problem with DB GMG
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 11:54:01 AM »

I second that... who you be? :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »
I use to sell green mountain grills.  Pappy is right.  If your using 500 degrees and turn it down to low from a high heat pellet grills don't like that.  Bad juju.  You can use high great all you want but then turn it to 350 for 15-20 minutes or so and then down to 225.  What happens is you have a full fire pot of pellets then you turn it down to low so since the grill is already at high heat no pellets will be fed because your controller is trying to cool the grill.  Full fire pot no pellets being fed they like to burn back in the auber tube.  All the way back to your hopper.  Bad juju.  So use high heat then to medium then to low then off.

Yep...  What Sparky said!   I've also had the same issue on our MAK grills.

Another trick I use is to turn the heat down to your desired temp and open the hood for a few minutes and let it cool down some. 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

Problem with DB GMG
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 12:44:15 PM »

Yep...  What Sparky said!   I've also had the same issue on our MAK grills.

Another trick I use is to turn the heat down to your desired temp and open the hood for a few minutes and let it cool down some.
Or better yet, buy a second pellet grill... lol.

That’s one of the reasons eggheads claim to have more than one egg.

This hobby sure can get expensive with our warped logic ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 12:45:40 PM »

Yeah, that's the ticket!   :D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »

Yeah, that's the ticket!   :D

Yup, that's what we did. We like to be at grilling or high roasting temps but then also need lower temps for sides so we just grabbed another pellet grill to help the MAK out............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Lines

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 06:15:14 PM »

Did that yesterday. Lines from Southern Iowa. Glad to be here!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:55:12 AM by Lines »

Offline Lines

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 06:19:14 PM »

I second that... who you be? :)

LOL...I must be flying under the radar. Oh I know, too much smoke in the air around here. :) Lines ( Southern Iowa) Hello--Is this thing on? ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:57:05 AM by Lines »