Author Topic: older memphis advantage  (Read 826 times)

Offline mulletminnow

older memphis advantage
« Reply #-1 on: January 30, 2019, 11:58:02 AM »
Thinking about buying a Memphis advantage that was bought new in 2012.
Supposedly works good, the timer and control system works but the grill does not have the wi-fi system.
The bad thing is rust, owner lives within three miles of ocean and says the unit is very rusty due to salt air.

Sure would appreciate any of You pellet owners thoughts on this possible purchase, especially what may
happen later on due to the rust in the firebox and maybe the control unit and in Your opinion what would be a fair price.

Thanks
don   

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: older memphis advantage
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »
Thinking about buying a Memphis advantage that was bought new in 2012.
Supposedly works good, the timer and control system works but the grill does not have the wi-fi system.
The bad thing is rust, owner lives within three miles of ocean and says the unit is very rusty due to salt air.

Sure would appreciate any of You pellet owners thoughts on this possible purchase, especially what may
happen later on due to the rust in the firebox and maybe the control unit and in Your opinion what would be a fair price.

Thanks
don
I'd be careful of a rusty grill.  Those are really good grill from what I know but you may be better off going with a MAK, Rec-Tec or something else.  Sea salt does lots of damage you may not see like eating away at the wires and controler
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »
Depends...surface rust only, without any serious pitting? I might make a cheap offer for it...*IF* it tests out as working well otherwise. You can clean and neutralize rust. AND future care can make the grill last.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

older memphis advantage
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »
Got any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 02:35:00 PM »
I wouldn't fret over it not having wi-fi. The Memphis wi-fi is notoriously finicky and should be avoided, in my opinion. I'm a Memphis non-wifi owner (Elite model), and based on all the troubles that the Facebook Memphis Owner's group folks have with wifi, I'm glad that I didn't get it.

Good luck!
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »
I had a Memphis advantage.  They are great grills but the 430 stainless is prone to rust.  If it's rusting, pass on it.  Rust will only get worst.  The Memphis pro is 304 stainless.  Better. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 10:12:53 PM »
Depends...surface rust only, without any serious pitting? I might make a cheap offer for it...*IF* it tests out as working well otherwise. You can clean and neutralize rust. AND future care can make the grill last.....

If it's only surface rust, you can passivate the stainless. Passivating is a big deal in the brewery industry where rust on stainless can occur especially where it's been welded. If you do a search on passivating, there are several procedures for treating so you won't be plagued with the rust anymore. Once it's passivated it's usually done.

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »
I have a ten year old Memphis Advantage that's still cookin' great groceries after all these years.  It has some rust spots here and there but nothing that would affect the structural integrity or the function of anything.  This is a premium brand American made cooker with heavier metal than most of the competition and what is still a really capable controller.  There is no "blue book" for used cookers but I'd say a fair price would be a few hundred dollars. 

Remove the grids and deflector and poke around in the firebox for evidence of any metal thinning or holes where there shouldn't be any.  A little rust and lots of discoloration and soot is normal.  Fire it up from a cold start to make sure the ignitor works.  Depending on outside temperature and wind a Memphis will fire up fairly quickly and achieve/hold operating temperature relatively quickly.  On a frigid day like today mine would likely take up to thirty or forty minutes but its got a lot of range to cover.  On a warm summer day I'm usually set in fifteen to twenty minutes.  Once at temperature, raise the lid for a minute or two then put it back down and watch the controller recover to the setting.  It should be stable again in five to ten minutes unless there's a lot of wind and it is very cold.

You've got a potential bargain on your hands in terms of quality and capability.  I'd rather have my old Memphis than a lot of new imported cookers.  I've been offered $500 for it and considered, but declined.  It's got several more years of good cookin' ahead of it because it was a good piece of gear when it was made -- well engineered and built by a reputable company.  Parts and service are readily available and Hearthland's customer service is first rate.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline mulletminnow

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »
Wanna thank all of You that replied about the rusty old grill that  I've been looking at.
All great advice considering what little information I was able to provide.

But Mr. Hub has really helped with the information about the grill He has.
I believe that it is identical to the one I am thinking about getting, except for the rust that this one has.

When the weather breaks I'm gonna go over and run the grill thru the temperature changes Mr Hub talked about
and if it works out and there's not to much rust I'll make an offer.

Thanks
don