Author Topic: Memphis Grills moving manufacturing to China  (Read 2007 times)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
Memphis Grills moving manufacturing to China
« Reply #-1 on: March 04, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
I just read on the Memphis Grills FB User's Group that Memphis Wood Fire Grills is moving production to China.  :(
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline Pappymn

« on: March 04, 2019, 07:24:21 PM »
I know they are based here in Minnesota. Did they manufacture them here too? Seems like a stupid move for a premium product like Memphis. Mak should make hay about this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Memphis Grills moving manufacturing to China
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:41:31 PM »
I have owned all the Memphis grills at one point or another.  Great grills but hell of expensive.  Maybe the price will come down.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
Yes they are produced here in Minnesota. About 20 minutes from me. Going to be some jobs lost. I don't see how they can still get premium pricing on a Chinese made grill. Like sparky said, maybe they are going down market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »
MAK........the last word in Memphis........
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline victor3atp

• What's with the Negative Waves, Moriarty?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 01:19:57 AM »
A bit of a rant, but just have to...

I was determined to go USA-made a couple years ago with both a smoker and gasser (especially after researching the difference between the quality of US and Chinese stainless steel) and was somewhat torn between MAK, Memphis and Blazin' for the smoker. The Memphis was so, so temping because it is absolutely the "coolest" looking one out there, but ended up with a MAK 2-Star since searing was to be done on a gasser anyway (a Weber Summit S-470 before they move it to China too), plus the warming box is a very useful feature vs. the Blazin' in my case. Have somewhat questioned the decision since because they're of all of such high quality, but no more. Very glad now to have supported a company that's not selling out American jobs and quality for a slightly better bottom line.

Mind you, this is coming from a small business owner who gets that profit is not a "dirty" word, so can't necessarily blame Memphis in that regard. But 'cmon now, what's the five-year plan guys? Make 20% more on existing sales for the next year or two only to give up 30% future volume to MAK & Blazin' (who already make more competitively priced high-quality units)? Then only to turn around and try to compete with RecTec who charge 1/4–1/3 as much for reasonably comparable made-in-China products and who's owners give out their personal cel phone numbers and answer them 24/7? Really? What are you thinking?

I must suspect there are a few folks in Georgia, Oregon and Nebraska who are licking' they're chops right now over this decision...
MAK 2-Star 3293
Weber Summit S-470
Sutherland (aka Oddball) Looks Like Me – 40 Years Ago...

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 09:10:41 AM »
Well said. Minnesota jobs being lost too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 05:25:53 PM »
For a built-in application, short of the MAK 3-Star, the Memphis would have been my hands down choice for a pellet grill.  When I was in the market, "Made in the US" was one of my check boxes on my list ... I ended up with a Blaz'n Gridiron and have found it to be worth the price.  For a foreign-built machine, I wouldn't have been willing to cross the $2k threshold, honestly.

I'm a capitalist through and through, and hope that the "invisible hand" proves to Memphis that there are those that are willing to pony up good money for good products.  Of course, I say this knowing the irony that my iPhone, my Sony flatscreen, and a slew of other daily use devices in my home are made in Asia ... but for smoking a brisket or grilling a steak I'd rather keep it local.  :)
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330