Outdoor Cooking Equipment > PIZZA OVENS - Wood Fired

New Pizza Oven on the way!

(1/4) > >>

RG:
I don't know what has come over me lately. I have gotten back into a cooking groove. I think it's because I am dealing with some stuff with my dad, as y'all know he's in hospice care. I think cooking has always been cathartic for me and it must indeed be because I keep buying cooking gadgets!

I already have an Uuni 2s that I made my own flame shield for and bought a $100.00 baking steel for and haven't used in maybe a year and a half, lol. It's not that I don't like the Uuni, it's just kind of a pain to make the pizza, slap it in the oven and then also worry about fire management. I have threatened to sell it before but haven't really tried so it still sits unused.

Since I have gotten into making pasta, the pizza maker in me wants to get back into making pizza again so I have been eyeing the Roccbox but to be honest, I don't want to spend $600.00 so I found the new Uuni (now called Ooni) Koda. It's a gas powered device and it's half the price of the Roccbox. It is a one trick pony, gas only, but that's okay. I already have a pellet powered one. I actually bought it off of ebay last night. They had a "or best offer" button so I offered the seller $250.00 and they accepted it! So, $250 and free shipping seemed like a good deal to me.

I most likely won't have it until Friday and I may be heading back to South Carolina to handle some more of my dad's business so it may be a while before I get to use it. I will report back with a review of sorts and my overall opinion of the Koda. I think I'm going to like it though, call it a hunch :)

bamabob:
Prayers to your dad Jason. 

I've never had a pizza in an Uni, Ooni, but I find a pizza in the keg hard to beat.  Looking forward to seeing your experienced expert review and results.  Maybe even a pizza throwdown on your different pizza cookers!   :P :P

RG:

--- Quote from: bamabob on April 22, 2019, 06:37:39 PM ---Prayers to your dad Jason. 

I've never had a pizza in an Uni, Ooni, but I find a pizza in the keg hard to beat.  Looking forward to seeing your experienced expert review and results.  Maybe even a pizza throwdown on your different pizza cookers!   :P :P

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the kind words Bob. I haven't baked a pizza outside in a long time, sad to say. You're right, the Keg does make a great pie!  I haven't used my sole remaining Keg in a LONG time, kind of ashamed to admit that. As for a throwdown, those days are long gone my friend. I just don't have the inclination to do those these days. I am sure the Ooni will be more like the other Uuni as far as what it can produce, which is more of a smaller, lighter dough pizza than what I cook on the Keg. The Keg can do heavily topped, thicker pies but the Ooni is not meant for that.

I have learned though, that I actually prefer a less is more type pie. A nice pillowy dough with a no cook sauce, fresh mozz, some fresh basil, a little EVOO and some pamesan or pecorino romano and you're good to go! The main thing I am looking for is ease of use and speed. It being gas fired means a consistent temp, no reloading of pellets, no worrying about being too hot or not hot enough. No worrying about lighting a Keg, letting it burn for an hour to get the heat I want and to burn off the bad smoke. Just fire it up, wait 15-20 minutes to get a good stable heat and BAM! Pizza in the oven for 60-90 seconds.

One thing I like about the new one is that it's like the Roccbox, no door! These little ovens are actually fun to cook on. I like reaching in with the peel and sliding the pizza around. It makes you feel like a pizzaiolo, lol.

I am going to give the Uuni 2s a good cleaning and decide what to do with it. I may keep it (the hoarder in me talking) or I may send it packing. Time will tell! The new kid will be here Thursday so I'll at least get to look at it if nothing else :P

Once I actually make some pies, I'll make a post for sure.

Pappymn:
The Wall Street journal featured that Roccbox last week. Looks cool. Then I saw the price....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tailgating is my game:
RG I see you opening an Italian restaurant some day soon (LOL).

I have to tell the truth here I bought a gas powered Pizza oven (not allowed to say the name on here) four years ago...…..& have not used it once. Between My mom my Aunt, my kids & my dogs health problems..&...now my in-laws there is just no time. On top of that My daughter is now a Vegan & my wife is a part time vegetarian. Plus on top of that my son does not like pizza.

I wish I could just fire up that sucker but cooking for one is no fun. I guess Pudding (our golden) would join me if I make a pie

I think you will love that oven but I ask you one favor. Please fire her up when the wind is blowing north so I can get a smell of all that good pizza you will be making & when you open RG's famous Pizza Pie & Pasta restaurant I want the first table.

Have fun & eat well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version