Author Topic: Questions about making baby back ribs on a pellet grill  (Read 1097 times)

Offline nukeofficer

• Grillin & Chillin
Questions about making baby back ribs on a pellet grill
« Reply #-1 on: June 09, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »
I want to baby back ribs on my Pellet grill. I removed the membrane and rubbed them down with a dry rub where they will sit overnight.
I have read many articles about doing the 221 method for BB as opposed to the 321 method. Any words of advice for how to make these BBs amazing would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for cook times, cooking temps and any other tips or tricks.

Thank you in advance fellow grillers and smokers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Char-Broil GOURMET TRU-Infrared 2 Burner

Pit Boss 700FB

Offline sparky

• northern california
250° / 2-1-.5.  Over 2000 racks cooked this way.  If your pellet grill is completely filled with baby backs use 275°.  Same time table though.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Questions about making baby back ribs on a pellet grill
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 10:52:19 PM »
like he said. my last half hour is flexible. I cook it until the ribs pass the toothpick/probe test. Sometimes takes more, sometimes less.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 11:42:22 PM »
Try Sparky’s method. He is not kidding about how many ribs he has cooked. Get rub and sauce advice from him too

Offline nukeofficer

• Grillin & Chillin
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 01:16:47 AM »
250° / 2-1-.5.  Over 2000 racks cooked this way.  If your pellet grill is completely filled with baby backs use 275°.  Same time table though.
Awesome. So quick question. Do the first 2 hours with no wrap then 1 hour foil wraped then half hour no wrap with sauce?
Also straight on the grill grates or a pan? Sorry for all the questions.

Pit Boss 700FB

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 09:58:03 AM »
Awesome. So quick question. Do the first 2 hours with no wrap then 1 hour foil wraped then half hour no wrap with sauce?

Everyone on this forum is very friendly.  Ask all the questions you want.  Straight on the smoker grates the whole time.  No pan or grill grates (those aluminium things for cooking steak).  And Gus' advice is perfect.  The last 1/2 hour or so is all about the toothpick test.  Poke with a toothpick.  If the toothpick pulls the rib up with it when pulling it out then they're not done.

Oh, one last thing.  Most rubs are salt heavy.  I never rub my ribs and put back in frig overnight.  The salt will give your ribs a hammy taste.  Take your ribs out of frig, then clean them up, put your rub on, start up your smoker and let it come up to temp.  Your ribs will start to glaze up with the rub on them.  Once smoker is up to temp a light sprinkle of rub before you put them on.  Most important thing next is have a beer or cocktail.  Sit next to your smoker and watch the smoke rolling off of it.  Magic is happening now.  Anticipate those tasty ribs coming off in less than 4 hours or so.   Wife and kids will love ya because you just served them the best tasting ribs ever.  You are a bbq God.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:57:29 AM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline nukeofficer

• Grillin & Chillin
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 11:12:08 AM »

Everyone on this forum is very friendly.  Ask all the questions you want.  Straight on the smoker grates the whole time.  No pan or grill grates (those aluminium things for cooking steak).  And Gus' advice is perfect.  The last 1/2 hour or so is all about the toothpick test.  Poke with a toothpick.  If the toothpick pulls the rib up with it when pulling it out then they're not done.

Oh, one last thing.  Most rubs are salt heavy.  I never rub my ribs and put back in frig overnight.  The salt will give your ribs a hammy taste.  Take your ribs out of frig, then clean them up, put your rub on, start up your smoker and let it come up to temp.  Your ribs will start to glaze up with the rub on them.  Once smoker is up to temp a light sprinkle of rub before you put them on.  Most important thing next is have a beer or cocktail.  Sit next to your smoker and watch the smoke rolling off of it.  Magic is happening now.  Anticipate those tasty ribs coming off in less than 4 hours or so.   Wife and kids will love ya because you just served them the best tasting ribs ever.  You are a bbq God.
Thank you for all the advice Sparky.
So I added the rub yesterday and they are still in the fridge so it might be too late for that unless you suggest I take em out and wipe all the rub off.

Also wrap or no wrap?

Pit Boss 700FB

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »

So I added the rub yesterday and they are still in the fridge so it might be too late for that unless you suggest I take em out and wipe all the rub off.

Also wrap or no wrap?

It is to late but next time you will know.  Cook one rack naked and wrap the other racks.  You and your family will decide which ones you like better.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline nukeofficer

• Grillin & Chillin
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 12:50:55 PM »

Also wrap or no wrap?

It is to late but next time you will know.  Cook one rack naked and wrap the other racks.  You and your family will decide which ones you like better.
Thank you for answering all my questions.

Pit Boss 700FB

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »
It's all good partner.   Tee makes us be nice.  Did you get your new letstalkbbq coffee cup yet?  They are cool.  You get from Tee too.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:15:26 PM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 04:23:49 PM »
I don't have a pellet grill but just to give you yet another optional tweak to an already great cook...

SWMBO likes glazed/sauced, fall-off-the-bone ribs; I prefer a bit of "tooth" and am happy with or without sauce so I cook two racks at a time and, during the wrapping phase, stack them (meat side down) in the same foil with butter/honey/brown sugar/rub on the bottom, between racks, and on top.

The bottom rack gets more "juice" and braising than the top and ends up perfect for her (and you probably won't need or want to sauce during the final phase); the top rack is a bit drier and less sticky/sweet - perfect for me.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 05:06:07 PM »
It's all good partner.   Tee makes us be nice.  Did you get your new letstalkbbq coffee cup yet?  They are cool.  You get from tee too.
Coffee cup?  All I get from Tee is a bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline nukeofficer

• Grillin & Chillin
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 06:43:46 PM »
Coffee cup? Heck yeah I want a coffee cup!

Pit Boss 700FB

Offline RAD

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 06:47:29 PM »
It's all good partner.   Tee makes us be nice.  Did you get your new letstalkbbq coffee cup yet?  They are cool.  You get from tee too.
Coffee cup?  All I get from Tee is a bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tee, when did you start giving out Coffee Cups? All I ever get is sarcasm
Love to cook and eat

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 10:58:51 PM »
He gave me a red cup and a small paper towel once.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion