General > Member Gatherings and Road Trips

SlugBurger Trail 3,4 and 5 and done!!

(1/4) > >>

TMB:
So after two weeks and over 900 + miles (back and forth to Mississippi and Tenn) we have completed the "SlugBurger Trail"

It's been great and I have learned a lot about "Slug Burgers"  from the history to different styles and even found out there are other "Slug Burgers" out there but by different names and different states.

In Tenn they use mostley pork but add a little beef and use flour and corn meal and spices.    Flat top seems to be the prefered way to cook them.

Mississippi they make them with pork, soy flour and white flour with spices.     Deep fried and flat top to cook them

Alabama (with exception of Dismal Cavern) they make them with a mixture of beef, white bread,  flour and spices.

Dismal Cavern is owned by the same folks who own Borroum's Drug Store.  The burgers are as close to one another as you can get.  There the perfect Mississippi Slug Burger 

Best way we found to have them is Mustard, Onion & Pickel

Now due to to amount we were gonna eat we bought one burger cut in half and rated each one.  Our favorites were from Alabama since they used beef, but most of the Miss ones were really with one exception The Butcher Block and to be as honest as I can they were horrible.  As Kimmie's PawPaw would say "If you feed one to a dog it would have to lick it's butt to get rid of the taste"  It was so bad we took one bite and trashed it.     It was mushy and tasted like it was left out overnight.   

Alabama's rated this way.......  (side note, we prefered beef over pork)

Dubb's would be our first choice along with Penn Burgers (soon to re-open)  followed buy Dismal Caverns,  Willie's,  then Busy Bee

Mississippi rated....

Borroum's Drug store (10 out of 10) then B.J's ( first started the tour) Then front Street Snack Bar, Latham's Hamburger Inn, Jonnie's Drive In, White Trolly Cafe and then The SlugBurger Cafe.

Tenn ended up like this....

Rockabilly Cafe,  Brenda's Cafe, Pat's Cafe, Hope's cafe, Fat Cat's Cafe Then Wink's

All were good, but cornmeal gives a funny texture and flavor vs soy flour or white flour/bread.  But Tenn's Slugs were not our favorites.

We both had a ball doing the four trails  Ala (1) , Miss (3) and Tenn (1) and like I said we learned a lot ate well had a great time
and look forward to visiting these burger joints again.

Now we are looking into the next trail to go on!!

Pictures are going to be posted as soon as I get them uploaded and info of each place   

TMB:
We stared our Ala tour in Cullman Alabama at the Busy Bee.

Next we moved on to Willie's burgers in Hartsel Alabama

Then it was off to Dubb's for the last burger of the trail in Alabama (so we thought)

Then the next day we found out about the Dismal Cavern grill

We got there 1 hour early but the lady said "If your on a tour like this I can't let you go without trying one!"  So she open the grill and cooked just for us   

Tailgating is my game:
Tommy is it like meatloaf as a burger? Never have heard of them before you started posting this. I would think beef was the best but no Ketchup lol

Tailgating is my game:
You may find this funny but I have put a bun on a grill or griddle & toasted it after cooking burgers.....& you still get some of the taste lol. It is the poor mans burger deluxe but with a little ketchup...ain't so bad lol

Would love to have tried some of those burgers even with the mustard.....lol

TMB:

--- Quote from: Tailgating is my game on July 01, 2019, 11:49:16 AM ---Tommy is it like meatloaf as a burger? Never have heard of them before you started posting this. I would think beef was the best but no Ketchup lol

--- End quote ---
No ketchup kills the flavor.    I have more picts coming!    these are not like meatloaf, the Tenn burgers were likie fried catfish texture and Miss were sorta like sauage ball texture

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version