Author Topic: Pizza in the Copperhead 5  (Read 590 times)

Offline DWard51

Pizza in the Copperhead 5
« Reply #-1 on: July 31, 2019, 12:29:32 AM »
Y'all have to forgive me, but I'm like a kid on Christmas afternoon with a new toy. Today I figured lets try a pizza in the Copperhead 5 vertical pellet smoker. Now where did I put that pizza stone we don't use anymore....

Ok, first fired up the PB5 to 400* and after putting the stone in, let it heat for 20 minutes or so at 400*. The pizza is nothing special, just a Kroger deli "double pepperoni" the wife picked up on mark down that I tossed in the freezer when she bought it (I told you she was a mark down ninja!). I tossed a few extra pepperoni slices on just because and added extra cheese. Store pizza never seems to have enough cheese topping. Still using the Pit Boss hickory pellets I dumped in for the burn in and last 2 smokes (it was a 20 lb bag). I may dump out what's left tomorrow and weigh it to see how frugal the smoker is with pellets.

Yeah, I confess.... That's the foil "drip pan" from the wings. Tomorrow will be a proper cleaning as this is 3rd smoke and I really need to clean out the fire pot.

After 20'ish minutes, this is what I got. Looked pretty dang good to me. The taste was great, just a slight hint of smoke due to the high temps and short time.

I almost forgot to check the crust and take a photo. So forgive the test bite. Crust was done and had a nice texture on the stone. It's a fairly thin synthetic ceramic stone.

After the pizza was done, I dropped the temp to 250 and tossed in 2 packages of chorizo the wife picked up (again on mark down for half price). After I cook them, I will pulse the links in the food processor to grind them.  Then I take some and have them for breakfast.  I usually put a little butter/oil in the pan, put in a healthy scoop of ground cooked chorizo and after a quick heat, the scrambled eggs are poured in to cook around the sausage.  Makes a damn tasty breakfast!  Sorry no photos of the sausage.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Pizza in the Copperhead 5
« on: July 31, 2019, 08:07:58 AM »
Love it!   Keep cooking brother nothing wrong with playing with you new toy!!! :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Roget

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:33:34 AM »
Looks good.
What brand of beer do you drink with cardboard pizza??? :D :D :D
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline DWard51

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 02:11:46 PM »
Why Bud Platinum of course!!!!!  Oddly enough, to me on a hot sweaty day Platinum (in the blue bottle, never a can) is "the one".

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 02:32:26 PM »
Have you notice any hot spots ion it yet?    I love my RecTec and cooked a lot with it and just about figured every hot spot there is

That pizza looks really good by the way
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 11:39:41 PM »
I have not run a biscuit test (seems like a waste of good biscuits!), but I did notice a couple of the wings on the far right edge of the rack were a little more done than the rest.  The rest of the rack were pretty even.  I seem to remember reading in another post that someone commented the right side ran a little hotter in theirs as well.   But on the pizza cook, it was pretty even (but it did not extend as much towards the right side like the wing placement did).

I probably need to put all 6 probes from the Tenergy sensor in there and get a better idea of how it runs.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 11:45:11 PM »
The Pizza looks fantastic!

I like the design of that unit, because it'd be ideal for smoking sausage.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 08:21:17 AM »
I have not run a biscuit test (seems like a waste of good biscuits!), but I did notice a couple of the wings on the far right edge of the rack were a little more done than the rest.  The rest of the rack were pretty even.  I seem to remember reading in another post that someone commented the right side ran a little hotter in theirs as well.   But on the pizza cook, it was pretty even (but it did not extend as much towards the right side like the wing placement did).

I probably need to put all 6 probes from the Tenergy sensor in there and get a better idea of how it runs.
I love bread baked in my RecTec :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 10:20:17 AM »
I have not run a biscuit test (seems like a waste of good biscuits!)

Not if your cooking sausage patties too.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 10:25:44 AM »
I have not run a biscuit test (seems like a waste of good biscuits!)

Not if your cooking sausage patties too.

You can still eat the biscuits :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 10:26:23 AM »
Love that pizza. I got some cardboard with pepperoni here that I am gonna do your way.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline DWard51

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 12:05:32 AM »
Don't forget the extra cheese!!!!!

The other thing I did is take out the factory water pan.  I moved one of the racks to the lowest position (where the factory water pan normally goes), and set a disposable full sized aluminum pan on that rack (full size pan will fit on the PB 5, not sure about the 4, and 3 models).  I also foiled the empty pan so that the foil dips down in the middle to form a drip pan (with an air insulation barrier below - between the foil and the bottom of the disposable pan).  This pan is higher than the stock water pan.   Runs great that way IMO.