Author Topic: Close Call  (Read 1959 times)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Close Call
« Reply #-1 on: September 30, 2019, 05:22:26 PM »
I nearly lost my Green Mountain Daniel Boone to a fire.  I had it set at 275 doing a spatchcock chicken.  My wife smelled smoke in the house, and when I ran out, smoke was everywhere.  Soot was covered on the front of the door, and oven thermometers on the grate inside were pegged.  Luckily, I had stopped it before large flames appeared, but it was Hot.  I had cooked ribs on the prior cook and there was fat on the aluminum foil on the drip pan.  I replaced the foil and cleaned off the drip pan top, but did not look inside the fire box area.  I think that excess fat had started to burn down there from the last cook.  I have read about others having fires like this, and wanted to know recommendations on how to clean out the inside of the grill.  There is a lot of soot and my gaskets are burned off the door.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline highball

• South of Seattle
Re: Close Call
« on: September 30, 2019, 09:41:21 PM »
Scary stuff. Scrap it out with a metal paint scrapper and use a shop vac to suck up the ashes.
Weber 26
Blackstone Griddle
Green Egg
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Performer
24" Discada
RT-700 Bull

Best Regards,
 Mike

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 10:44:21 PM »
I think I would be investigating how the grease got there. My drip pan is pretty warped, so I test drainage with a squirt bottle to find the right spot.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline cookiecdcmk

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the info

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 08:49:45 AM »
I induced a pretty scary fire one time by not being careful about getting the drip tray exactly in the right position.  Sometime during the cook it slipped and the grease ran down into the cooker instead of the bucket.   Same result you had  :-[

Now, I always double-check that little item.  The clean-up and the ruined food were a pretty good teacher.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline cookiecdcmk

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
Amen Hub, I will be checking every time in the future.