Cured Meats & Food Preservation > COLD SMOKING!

Cold smoking some cheese.......

(1/3) > >>

AndyL:
I picked up a variety of cheeses for my first attempt at cold smoking cheese. I decided on some pepper jack, sharp cheddar,  monteray jack, swiss and a horseradish cheddar that I thought would be really interesting smoked.

My starting temp was 28 deg F this morning using my PBC as my cold smoking chamber and my amaze-n-smoker tray with mostly Cherrwood pellets and some Hickorywood pellets mixed in to keep the cherry burning I let the cheese smoke for 3 hrs with the rods out and the lid cracked several inches to to keep the air flow moving and release some of the heat. The high ambient temp outside the barrel reached 42 deg F and the high temp inside the barrel registered at 72deg F in part due to the sun hitting the metal barrel I'm thinking, with the tray generating some of the heat.

Then, I let the cheese rest at room temp for another couple of hours before vacuum sealing and putting them into the fridge for a minimum of 30 days to age and mellow. 

Which,  will be just in time to use the cheese for our summer sausage and cheese platters for Christmas!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HighOnSmoke:
Excellent looking cheese Andy!

ronman451:
You are rockin' that PBC, Andy! Nice looking assortment of cheese for sure...

Salmonsmoker:
Andy, the next time you smoke some cheese, try some Dubliner. We get it at Costco. I think it might be a Kerrygold product. It's really good.

AndyL:

--- Quote from: HighOnSmoke on November 23, 2019, 04:50:10 PM ---Excellent looking cheese Andy!

--- End quote ---

Hey thanks again for all your help with my cheese questions Mike!

--- Quote from: ronman451 on November 23, 2019, 05:06:44 PM ---You are rockin' that PBC, Andy! Nice looking assortment of cheese for sure...

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm definitely utilizing my PBC to it's fullest capabilities. Hahaha!

--- Quote from: Salmonsmoker on November 24, 2019, 11:06:37 AM ---Andy, the next time you smoke some cheese, try some Dubliner. We get it at Costco. I think it might be a Kerrygold product. It's really good.

--- End quote ---

Hey, thanks for the cheese tip suggestion.......we get the majority of our cheese at Costco its easily 50% to 70% cheaper pound for pound than your main line grocery store. I saw some gouda I'd like to try next and I'll score some dubliner too, if I can find it!  :thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version