Author Topic: 3 Racks of Baby Backs on the new kid  (Read 4525 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
3 Racks of Baby Backs on the new kid
« Reply #-1 on: February 16, 2020, 07:21:30 PM »
I went to Costco yesterday and somehow spent close to $400, SUPERVISED! My wife may indeed be a clone! I don't know what happened to the real one but she needs to come back soon and save me from myself, lol

I bought two 3 packs of Smithfield babies and a Prime packer brisket. I also got some nice steaks and some other things, some needed, some not :P

I told my wife that I was going to break the steaks up and foodsaver them but was going to freeze the brisket and one pack of the ribs. I decided to cook one 3 pack and try different rub combinations and see if I could find a new favorite mixture, using some of the rubs I have on hand.

Here's how it turned out (again, a fairly long tale to tell) All were rubbed in regular old mustard and then rubbed as outlined below.

From bottom right to top right

Half Rack #1 : Underside - Simply Marvelous Pecan, Topside - Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple
   Half Rack #2 : Underside - Weber's Coffee Rub, Topside - Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction
   Half Rack #3 : Underside - Simply Marvelous Genie's Trinity, Topside - Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy
   Half Rack #4 : Underside - Genie's Hooch, Topside - Simply Marvelous Cherry
   Whole Rack - Underside Longhorn Steakhouse Grill Seasoning, Topside - Simply Marvelous Cherry

I added a little Kosher salt and black pepper sprinkling to each rack as well (Topside only)

As the smoker did it's thing, I periodically hit the ribs with a little 50/50 ACV/water mix in a spray bottle. After doing about 30 minutes or so on "Smoke" setting, I gradually bumped up the temp until I got to 225ish and did somewhat of a 3-2-1 method. I did my usual wrap with brown sugar, parkay, honey and Tiger Sauce, ala Johnny Trigg. Once they went wrapped for about 2 hours, I pulled them from the foil and back on the racks for about an hour. I glazed Half Rack #4 with my Honey Chipotle & Beer BBQ sauce that I LOVE on Ribs. As you can see, I am the only saucy rib eater at my house (pics below) but my son DID eat some and said they were his favorite out of the whole lot! Maybe I have converted him??

Random pics of cooking and eating :)

Pre wrap - About 1.25 hours into the cook, still needs to go a while to get some color

Wrapped

Unwrapped and back on the racks

Grilling a chicken "snack" below while smoking up top. I LOVE that I can do this!

Taking the chicken up to my wife but Baby is waiting at the top of the steps wanting to intercept!

It won't be long now! Waiting for rack #4's glaze to set

Off the smoker

Cutting and eating (who says you can't get a smoke ring on a pellet pooper?)

My Favorite, the #4!

AND....as a bonus picture, totally unrelated, I saw this at Costco, it made me chuckle :P

Notes about the ribs

#1 was really good. The Spicy Apple and Pecan was a great combination.
#2 was my least favorite of the bunch, I needed more rub on it maybe? Not a fan of the flavor profiles on this one. The remnants will make their way to my mother-in-law :P
#3 was also very nice, had a savory element to it, a distinct hint of celery in the background. I think was was due to the "Genie's Trinity" rub.
#4 as you know was my favorite, the sauce gets all tacky and has a very nice color that the camera phone just doesn't pick up unfortunately. Sweet heat with a garlic punch. I could sell this stuff!
#5 is my wife's go to, I make hers this way except for I was out of Simply Marvelous "Season All" which I normally use on the underside. This was good but would've been better had I had the "Season All".

We all didn't like #2 but enjoyed the rest of them. My personal order is 4, 3, 1, 5, 2 with 2 being a distant last to the rest.

Thanks for another long read. I blame it on my job, I am so used to explaining things to the nth degree that it flows over into everything I do!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: 3 Racks of Baby Backs on the new kid
« on: February 16, 2020, 09:16:36 PM »
Excellent looking cook Jason!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline rwalters

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:06:48 PM »
Very nice cook!!! Food looks fantastic!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »
Now you got me wanting ribs, those look fantastic.

Are you able to maintain 225* up above while you were grilling the chicken down below?  You can actually cook at two different temps?

So how was the performance of the machine vs. other cookers you've had (have).  How does it compare to the Traeger you had.

We find it hard to go to Costco and not spend $400.  I'm glad ours is almost an hour away.
Installed Big Ass Fans at work in factory area.  I think they were 24' diameter, truly big ass.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »
Another great Cook
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 02:38:02 PM »
Now you got me wanting ribs, those look fantastic.

Are you able to maintain 225* up above while you were grilling the chicken down below?  You can actually cook at two different temps?

So how was the performance of the machine vs. other cookers you've had (have).  How does it compare to the Traeger you had.

We find it hard to go to Costco and not spend $400.  I'm glad ours is almost an hour away.
Installed Big Ass Fans at work in factory area.  I think they were 24' diameter, truly big ass.

LOL, I love the name and I am glad they live up to their name by being being Big Ass :P

As for the cooker, the way it works is in a sense, not very efficient due to the main grilling area providing the smoke and the heat to the above smoker cabinet. You can stop the flow of smoke to the cabinet with levers on the side, then you can just use the main level to smoke/grill like any other pellet grill (Traeger included). To me, it's a useful feature as demonstrated in the above cook. To get the 225 up top, the bottom has to run quite a bit hotter. I cooked the chicken down there and even opened up the flame broil to put some color on it. It was like having 2 cookers going at once. If I just wanted to do the ribs on the bottom grill level, I could have and been fine but I wanted to test that upper cabinet.

I could've cooked other hot and fast items or even done some baked potatoes in the bottom but I just did the chicken, I was pleased with it.

As for performance, it does a fine job thus far from what I can tell, it cooks like my other 2 pit bosses that I have/had which cooks just like the little Traeger I had. This one just does what no other cooker I've had before can do, cook at 2 different temps, that's what intrigued me about it. Now, you know already that NOTHING I've used compares to the KBQ for dedicated smoking BUT this cooker makes cooking ribs EASY. I've always loved pellet grills for ABTs, Moinks, Ribs and Chicken and that has still not changed. This one has space to cook a TON of food so....so far I love it!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 07:52:57 PM by RG »
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Gtsum2

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 08:16:05 PM »
That’s some fine looking bones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 08:37:23 AM »

Looks great! A few minutes ago I realized that I had a dream last night and ribs were involved. Seriously!
Have no clue why as I did not think about ribs last night or yesterday. Lol......
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline RG

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 04:56:13 PM »

Looks great! A few minutes ago I realized that I had a dream last night and ribs were involved. Seriously!
Have no clue why as I did not think about ribs last night or yesterday. Lol......

I am no Sigmund Freud but I'd fathom a guess that it means you want some ribs :P

I am cooking up some more Saturday as I was challenged by a friend to a "rib off" lol. He is a good cook and cooks them on a Kettle style grill, not sure if it's an actual Weber or not. Well, he messages me on FB last night saying that he's going to be working Saturday DAY and won't have time to cook ribs for the "rib off" Saturday NIGHT, which he created to begin with but says he and his girlfriend can still come to "the party" LOL

I've been set up, hahaha! So now I've got to take a couple more racks from the freezer I guess :P

Offline hd002

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 08:40:39 PM »
Do the ribs get more smoke flavor up top ?

Nice color and nice smoke ring !!!

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »
Do the ribs get more smoke flavor up top ?

Nice color and nice smoke ring !!!

I would say so. I haven't cooked any on the bottom "grill" side yet so I can't compare. As with my other Pit Boss, it's not an overwhelming smoke but for me it's perfect for my tastes in ribs.