Cured Meats & Food Preservation > Dehydrating

Bacon Jerky

(1/3) > >>

Pam Gould:
Hey..today I am making some bacon jerky...I got some double smoked really thick cut bacon from sam's club, so I cut it up and put it in the dehydrater.  I also added soem fresh cracked pepper to it because I like it that way..will see in a day or so hwo well it does. My daughter in law got us some and it was killer so I thought I would try it. Wish me luck.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Ka Honu:
Looking forward to your "final review." Our commissary had their last five packages (1.5 lb. each) of Wright's Double Smoked on "close to sell-by date" sale for $3 each so I have 7.5 pounds in my freezer and a dehydrator that hasn't earned its keep in quite a while.

P.S. - I thought you had to "pre-cook" the bacon in the oven before dehydrating or you'd have too much fat and it might go rancid.

Pam Gould:
Ka Honu..I thought of that but I have never cooked any meat before dehydrating it..even sausage, will see what happens..might have to eat it pretty quick..poor lil me..lol, but will let you know..it sure smells wonderful in my garage tho...wonder if it would go rancid if I vacuum sealed it? Or I could freeze it.  It doesn't appear to be very greasy now and should be done by tomorrow..I put it on a 1:30pm EDT.. I will be sure and degrease it with paper towels before sealing.     .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Lines:
Just cooked our last package of Wright's Double Smoked bacon. That is good stuff. Good luck Pam!

Ka Honu:
Until I see how yours turned out I decided to just make candied bacon in the oven for a friend's birthday Monday. Went to the store this morning and bought 2 more packages (hickory smoked this time) so I wouldn't have to raid my freezer stash. Only 3 pounds (it'll have to be rationed) but that's not my problem. Might try a bourbon-based recipe I saw because I've had a bottle of Maker's Mark in the bar for a few years and might as well use some of it (I can't drink bourbon but I occasionally cook with it).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version