FORUM SPONSORS > Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

Anyone smoked a spatchcocked turkey in the PBC?

(1/2) > >>

rcrabb22:
I was going to get 2 birds about 12lb each.  I was going to cook one traditional in the oven and the other spatchcocked.  I haven't decided whether to hang it with 2 hooks or use the grate.  Anyone have experience with this?

pmillen:
Interesting question.  Do you visualize an advantage to spatchcocking it?

rcrabb22:

--- Quote from: pmillen on November 10, 2020, 10:05:17 AM ---Interesting question.  Do you visualize an advantage to spatchcocking it?

--- End quote ---

Last year I did a whole bird using the PBC turkey hanger and the thighs took forever to reached a food safe temperature the breast meat was dry as a bone.  Pit temp was a steady 235F then faded below 200F after 3 hours or so.  I do not remember the weather outside but late November in northern Illinois is rarely above 45F.  I kept screwing with the lid and the lower airflow cover to raise the pit temperature and it became a very labor intensive cook.

pmillen:
Smoked turkey can benefit greatly from brining to keep it moist.  Here's a useful brine for turkey.  Then stick the bird in the refrigerator, uncovered, for a day or two to dry the skin making it easier to crisp up.

My PBC benefitted greatly from the addition of a stoker.  See this post.

Bacala:
Here's a thread from several years ago describing one I did, but it was cut in half entirely rather than spatchcoked. Probably would cook pretty much the same, though.

And yes, we have no pictures today!  ;)

https://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=12226.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version