FORUM SPONSORS > Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

Anyone smoked a spatchcocked turkey in the PBC?

<< < (2/2)

rcrabb22:

--- Quote from: rcrabb22 on November 10, 2020, 09:20:37 AM ---I was going to get 2 birds about 12lb each.  I was going to cook one traditional in the oven and the other spatchcocked.  I haven't decided whether to hang it with 2 hooks or use the grate.  Anyone have experience with this?

--- End quote ---

Well I have more time to think about this.  The pandemic has postponed our family Thanksgiving get together for a bit.

rcrabb22:
I cooked the spatchcocked turkey this past weekend and it turned out well.  I was able to keep the PBC temp at 265 F for the entire cook which was about 3.5 hours.  I used (1) 3" square of pecan split into 3 smaller pieces and Kingsford blue bag charcoal. The bird was open side down on the grate.  After 2 hours I temped each breast and one was 135F and the other was at 125 F so I rotated the bird 180 degrees.   

akruckus:
Looks pretty darn good to me.  Did you keep the skin up the whole cook? If skin side up the whole cook any reason why you didn't flip it?

rcrabb22:
The skin was crispy as it was.  I used the PBC all purpose rub to the whole turkey and applied vegetable oil spray to the top of the bird just before putting on the grate in the PBC.  I watched a number of videos on YouTube smoking a spatchcocked turkey and none of the videos showed the bird flipped over.   I never considered doing that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version