Outdoor Cooking Equipment > Pellet Grills and Smokers

Bullseye update 2.5 months in

(1/4) > >>

tlg4942:
  I've been using the Bullseye for a couple of months now. This is a great grill for everyday use! It truly has become my daily cooker over all others.  It heats up quickly and cooks fast for the most part and it does a great job with the smoke flavor even cooking at faster speeds. To slow it down a bit I add a pizza stone to the heat shield. It still cooks a little fast but avoids premature browning and allows a little better smoke ring to develop.
  I have used Cabelas, Pitboss, Kingsford, and Bear Mountian pellets so far.  Kingsford has been the best and Bear Mountain the least impressive.  My next run will be with B&B and Jealous Devil since they are readily available close by.
   Now, I'm not as tidy as a lot of you when it comes to cleaning everything. I do keep things wiped down ( grates, edge surfaces, etc.. )  but historically I don't do big cleaning on my grills a lot.  I have a mini shop vac that I have been keeping the ash sucked out pretty much every other cook.  What I found this weekend is that this grill will require a bit more detail... This could be partly because of what I have cooked in it.  Pork roast and beef chucks both of which give off more grease than the burgers, fish, and sausage tend to.   
  Sunday I had smoke coming back through my pellet box which was concerning. I first blamed it on the new pellets but then I saw a comment on FB that said clean the vents. This was indeed the issue. They were completely blocked with grease and dust which apparently was causing a backflow of air.  They were easy to clean with a nylon brush and a screwdriver in a couple of places.
 Tonight I will give it a full run to see that all is well now.
 Having the small vac makes cleaning the dust out easy and now that I know... the vents should be pretty easy to keep clear.
   I think there is room for improvement but I would buy it again without hesitation.  I may try a couple of TMB style mods to see if I can improve the vent situation as time goes on and I want to give my kettle rotisserie a try on it. With the consistency of the beef roast so far if it makes rotisserie chicken as good as a kettle that's going to move it even higher up in points.... 

zueth:
Thanks for the review, I have only had mine for about 1 month and love it.
I would like to hear more about the pizza stone.
What grill grate did you go with? I went with a stainless one from BP.
Good tip on the vents.
I have only burned CookingPellets Perfect Mix in mine so far.

ClimberDave:
Sounds like a great  grill!!

Trying to  justify  getting one to replace my Weber  Kettle,  but it does so well for me.

tlg4942:
Both my kettles have been very lonely since the Bullseye showed up....

TMB:
Thanks Terry!  I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on another grill  :D :D

Although Kimmie is not happy about that  ;) but I think I got her ready for a new grill soon.

Now the main problem do I go with the Bullseye or the MB 1050 charcoal??  :thinking:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version