Author Topic: Grilled Soft Crabs  (Read 7031 times)

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
Re: Grilled Soft Crabs
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 07:12:39 AM »
Yes indeed! Variety is the spice of life. I'll have to slowly restock what I had on hand.
I'll have to give it a try and that sauce sounds like it would be good on lots of other stuff too.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 08:03:27 AM »
I'll have to try the grill method. I've only had fried or pan seared.  I'll eat any seafood dish EXCEPT tuna salad.  The texture of tuna salad throws me for a loop!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 08:39:31 PM »
I'll have to try the grill method. I've only had fried or pan seared.  I'll eat any seafood dish EXCEPT tuna salad.  The texture of tuna salad throws me for a loop!

Oh man, I still remember my grandmom's "Italian" tuna salad with olive oil instead of mayo, salt, pepper, and really, really finely diced onions and celery.  I could go for a little of that right now ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 03:10:23 AM »

Oh man, I still remember my grandmom's "Italian" tuna salad with olive oil instead of mayo, salt, pepper, and really, really finely diced onions and celery.  I could go for a little of that right now ! ! !

BD

Italian is the only way to go and the flavor is great, just can't get over that texture...
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »
I am curious about soft shelled crabs. I have never lived near an area where they are on the menu. When I've been in those areas where they are, it's never occurred to me to seek these out. Are they harvested right after molting and therefore have a soft shell? How do you eat them, shell and all?

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 03:26:32 PM »
I am curious about soft shelled crabs. I have never lived near an area where they are on the menu. When I've been in those areas where they are, it's never occurred to me to seek these out. Are they harvested right after molting and therefore have a soft shell? How do you eat them, shell and all?
Typically they are fried, You do eat the shell and they are soft just after molting.  They do have to be cleaned properly but it's not hard to do.  If you find them fresh they are fantastic!  We have a fish house in town that ticks them into molting so we can find them a lot more often. They are pricy in restaurants but well worth it as far as I am concerned. 
  I really want to try grilling some. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 09:04:39 PM »
  That looks awesome right there!    I need to pick some up and give this a try.  Softshells are one of my favorite things.

I know a good place to try 'em out...maybe trying them out with friends.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2021, 01:10:32 PM »
  That looks awesome right there!    I need to pick some up and give this a try.  Softshells are one of my favorite things.

I know a good place to try 'em out...maybe trying them out with friends.
I'll do a little research on the feasibility.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"