General > Member Gatherings and Road Trips

Houston traffic sucks but we had fun anyway

<< < (2/4) > >>

Big Dawg:
Nice lookin' plate ! ! !

BD

Ka Honu:
El Tiempo Saturday night was good. Similar to Ninfa’s (not surprising since the owners are two of Mama Ninfa’s sons) but Ninfa’s was a bit more to my taste. I have to admit, though, that El Tiempo’s Carnitas Chile Relleno (photo below) was pretty damn good and Bremer picking up the tab (at Barbara’s insistence) was certainly a plus.

I guess I shouldn’t mention the ‘Bama-A&M game but it gave me an excuse to call dee (message left – not answered) and tee (who was an even happier camper out in New Mexico – wherever that is).

Sunday we had brunch at Caracol, an upscale Mexican restaurant near the Galleria. The roasted Brussels sprouts and chicken with achiote were great (more pics below). That one is gonna cost Bremer some bucks when Barbara tries it and puts it in the rotation. Very good but Ninfa’s is still my favorite.

More after today’s adventures…

IR2dum:
I agree with Turtle's assessment and review of the restaurant's food so far. Caracol for Sunday Brunch was my favorite. I had never heard of it before but it is now going into the Tex-Mex rotation (and Barbara will be thrilled). Today we are going to have chicken fried steak. It's at the same place that Tim and I dined at about a year ago when he came through town on his hog hunt.You can't come to Texas without having a CFS. We are also going back to a Buckee's to stock up on some different flavors of jerky. What with Jaxon's backyard cookout last weekend and all this food this week, I won't need to eat again for months.

It really is fun hanging out with Turtle and George. Despite ruining Turtle's reputation on this forum, he is a great person and fun to be around. I really enjoyed our central Texas BBQ tour. We didn't see any famous pitmaster's on this trip with the exception of Wayne Mueller at Mueller's BBQ in Taylor. He greeted us at our table. I found out that he has lived a few blocks from me a few years ago. Who knew.

CDN Smoker:
Wow fantastic looking plates

Ka Honu:
Today was dedicated to chicken fried steak at Pappy’s and the last Tex-Mex at Pappasito’s.

The photo doesn’t show the side of gravy (and some hot sauce) I added just to perk up the cheese grits a bit and make sure the CFS didn’t dehydrate. Put this one in the “Win” column. Of course pretty much everything we’ve done this weekend (except fighting traffic) is in the “Win” column – just the way it was supposed to be.

Pappasito’s was a fitting end of the tour. The fajita, shrimp, and sausage special covered all the bases (and two plates), even leaving enough for breakfast so I don’t have to eat airline food. Washed down with a large Reserva margarita – life is good.

I’m toast – Texas Toast that is. I need to go home for a while, maybe a while-and-a-half. Might even have to change my handle from Ka Honu to El Hombre Gordo.

Like Jaxon and Debbie, IR2dum and Barbara were wonderful hosts (plus guide and chauffer services thrown in). We may not deserve it but we all should have friends like those four. We couldn’t have done it without them and they all have my sincere thanks. My cardiologist and dietician may not see it that way but the Hell with them.

OBTW, Art – if you bet the over like I advised, you made money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version