General > General Discussion

Roasted potatoes

(1/3) > >>

akruckus:
I recently tried a different way to roast potatoes and I probably won't go back to just plain roasting.

I par boil the potatoes for maybe 10 minutes or so depending on the size, I drain them then toss in seasoning, olive oil, and some butter.  I then have been air-fry/convection bake at 425-450 for 35-45 minutes.  Potatoes are really crispy, and no so much steamed on the inside, they are cooked and keep their "structure".  My daughter has asked for them 3 nights in a row, and my wife who do not like "mushy" things has actually picked at them as well.

The boiling and tossing them brings the starches out a bit and helps create the potato crust that is really crispy like it has been deep fried without the mess.

I am going to this with hand made fries and see how it works.  When I do it next I will get some pictures.

pmillen:
Interesting.  Thanks for the tip.

So you mix the seasoning, olive oil, and butter in a bowl and then roll them around in it and bake them?

I wonder if restaurants use this method.  Their potatoes always seem better than mine.

Big Dawg:
I do something similar, especially for baked potatoes.  I put them in the MW until about halfway done.  Then I coat them in butter and cover with a liberal shake of coarse Kosher salt.  Then I pop them back in the over right before I head out to grill the steaks.  The steaks and the taters are usually done right about the same time.

BD

MJSBBQ:

--- Quote ---I do something similar, especially for baked potatoes.  I put them in the MW until about halfway done.  Then I coat them in butter and cover with a liberal shake of coarse Kosher salt.  Then I pop them back in the over right before I head out to grill the steaks.  The steaks and the taters are usually done right about the same time.
--- End quote ---

Similar BD, but wife won't let me coat with butter, so I just add more butter to my tater at the table!

pmillen:
Are the skins crisp when you first half-cook them in the microwave?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version