Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Burn it in the Back Yard with Hub!

PELLET COOKERS 101 -- PART TWO "Getting the most out of your machine"

<< < (3/4) > >>

DK117:
One thing that is implied but not expressly agreed upon is the lower smoking temperatures.  My Traeger Texas, at P4 or higher dependent upon ambient temps, can hold 130 degrees all day long.  This is amazing for salmon or jerky.  My Texas won't sear, that's what my gasser is for.  Layer in a tube smoker and you've got a heavy smoke option at the low end.  I also use this as my first step for reverse searing.  I'm not seeing a lot of agreement on this point, but it's the primary reason I haven't upgraded my Traeger, no other pellet cooker advertises smoke settings below 150 (GMG I think) let alone 200 for smoke, which I think gets you closer to baking.  There's a whole world of options between cold smoking (what 90 degress) and 225 baking.   I think this low end consistency is unique to Traeger.   I'm looking forward to feedback as, I'll reiterate ... with a gasser and a Texas, I have consistent options from 130 to 600+.  I don't think any single unit, including a FE can provide. 

DK117

bbqchef:
I'm doing an article on pellet poopers for the Fiery Foods SuperSite... whom do you guy consider the "major players" when it comes to pellet equipment?

Thanks!

Mike

Hub:
I'm hoping one of our manufacturer members will see this and perhaps have some actual industry figures on recent sales and market share.  I don't have any, just a "feel" based on what people own and talk about on the various forums.  My SWAG is that if you list Traeger, GMG, Hearthland/Memphis, MAK, Fast Eddy/Cookshack and Yoder ownership you've got the vast majority of market share.  What is interesting, however, is that several newer entrants appear to be having some success and it isn't unusual to run accross a brand I've not heard of before.  Rec Tec comes to mind as one of the new kids on the block and they seem quite dedicated to their effort.  Blaz'n comes to mind, as does Dansons and Royall, older companies with what I think is probably a small share.  Appologies to any left out -- this is top of mind stuff, not researched.

Hub

PoppyBill:
Another good one Hub. Your posts will have value for a long time! Thanks

love2dive:
I am new to this forum and found your advice on the consideration of pellets grill/smoker very informative.  I currently own a WSM with a BBQ Guru temp controller.  It is not perfect.  Some days the temp fluctuate on the high side and some days it fluctuates on the low side.  So even with the temp controller, I still have to monitor the smoker and do minute adjustments here and there to keep the temp around 225 where I want it most of the time.  I love the WSM because it burns briquette and I can toss in different flavor woods to get that great smoky taste.  My WSM is quickly becoming too small for me, and that is why I'm starting to look around and see what else is out there that I could buy to replace my WSM.  Your post definitely gave me something to think about and decide if a pellet grill is right or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version