Author Topic: Kramer Knives  (Read 1129 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Kramer Knives
« Reply #-1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:51:50 PM »
Many of y'all may know about Kramer knives which are made by a fellow out in WA.  His custom made knives go for as much as $300/inch and takes about a year to make.  For some reason last night I got to thinking about his knives and looked him up on YouTube.  There are some great videos showing him making his knives as well as him giving classes on how to sharpen knives. I found them to be very interesting and entertaining.  He has also teamed up with Zwinning Heckle (or something like that) to make some knives under his tuterlage at a lower price.  So, go on YouTube and type in "Kramer knives" and you'll find them.  When he talks about the company write it down and google it and look at the knives and also look at the sharpening kit they sell.
As an aside, one of the things we are going to be lucky enough to have at the Gathering in September is Art giving a class on knife sharpening.  I'm really looking forward to that.  In the meantime, check out Kramer on YouTube.  I think y'all will enjoy it...I did.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: Kramer Knives
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:25:06 PM »

He's got some beautiful knives...   I've looked at them a few times.   (usually through some kind of locked glass cabinet  ;))

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:25:14 PM »
Most knives you purchase are not as sharp as they can be when you buy them. Usually a high end knife has had a little more time spent getting it sharp.I use a Edge Pro unit to keep our knives sharp. A quality knife will stay sharp longer based on the steel used to make the knife.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 03:37:38 AM »
Jim,
This would be a good time to post the pictures you took of knife edges, before and after sharpening them with the Edge Pro system.  That p;ost was a big part in why I bought that particular sharpening system.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »
Jim,  That's a really good point and I was impressed  how much time and effort Kramer put into sharpening his knives.  That is probably something "normal" knife makers who produce mass knives.  I guess most of us think just because we buy a new knife it is sharp when we buy it.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers