Author Topic: Hickory pellets on the Char-Broil site  (Read 3596 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Hickory pellets on the Char-Broil site
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 04:15:24 PM »
The Memphis can grill very well with no mods I can assure you. I could get sear marks almost as good as my RED without a flame zone or grill grates by just leaving in the drip pan. But the price point on the Memphis is higher and might not be a big box item that Lowes or Home Depot would take a chance on being the name is not well known.

Weber is a mid grade to high grade name. Their name is known for quality, well made grills. The top of the line gasser is well over $1,000 and sells well.

A pellet grill can be made to grill if it is able to reach higher temps with a combination of insulation/double wall design, thick grates, and high quality metal parts that will not warp/bend due to the excessive heat. A flame zone insert with a controller that works with that function is also a must.

Most people in general are not fanatical I mean passionate like us about smokers and grills. I own way more cooking equipment than your average person. To reach that other consumer will require a quality replacement to their gasser that is also a green alternative. Something that men will gather around during a party and salivate over then tell their SWMBO that they want one too. I have a friend at work who had never heard of a pellet grill a year ago and I talked him into buying a Traeger. Now he went halves with me on a load of pellets and is looking at getting a larger grill now. What really got him interested was the Costco road show with Traeger. After seeing the grill in person and talking with me he was hooked. I made him understand how it works and what to expect. I too got a pellet grill after constantly seeing the great cooks on them at other forums.

It is nice to see these cheaper models go mainstream but again with their controllers and design people will try to use them as a grill and be dissatisfied with the results. Like a really fast looking car that cannot get out of it's own way. Because it looks like a grill and not a traditional smoker people will expect them to "act" like a grill too. So I really don't see these things going too far with the general public.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
The Memphis can grill very well with no mods I can assure you.

Same with the MAK and a few other brands.  There are a lot a quality smoker-grills out there these days!!  :)  The mods are mostly done on the entry level units to make them more like the high end units ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
here's the current offerings at 3 of the big boxes
I think I might pick 'em- OzarkMtn/kmart, Char-Griller/Lowes, Brinkman/HomeDepot

King of the OldSmokey

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 05:17:49 PM »
I see RecTec has a 24 months same as cash dealfor their entry cooker ( winter sale $998.) Thoughts? I know I need to do a lot of looking around, but this caught my eye (actually both of 'em..  ::))

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 10:20:27 PM »
I see RecTec has a 24 months same as cash dealfor their entry cooker ( winter sale $998.) Thoughts? I know I need to do a lot of looking around, but this caught my eye (actually both of 'em..  ::))

David
For the money the Rec-Tec is hard to beat. If I had the $$$$ I'd get one without asking Kimmie  ;)

I really liked the ones we used at the cook-out and non of them gave a mins problem while we used them.  Not saying that GMG, MAK's or the rest aren't as good cuase they are all great grills but for 998.00 and free shipping very hard to beat 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 11:25:30 PM »
From what I understand about the outdoor cooking market segment in the U.S. and Canada - and certainly others here know more - about 70% of the grills sold are in the $100 range and are considered disposable. Translation - folks don't take care of them and don't expect them to last for more than a couple 3-5 years....the charcoal expectation is a bit longer cause it's pretty much just a tub with grates and a cover.

I would hazard to hallucinate that when there is a pellet cooker that can be sold at that price level (manual?) it will get market traction. BUT I suspect $240 is the price that will turn the screw too.   8)