Author Topic: Is There Something for Windows That's Similar to iGrill?  (Read 7419 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Is There Something for Windows That's Similar to iGrill?
« Reply #-1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »
My home is all Windows; desktops, notebooks, tablet and smartphone.  We  have a couple of Android e-readers (Nooks) but it's a bit of a stretch to think of them as tablet computers.

An iGrill Customer Service Representative wrote that they may consider an iGrill enhancement to make it compatible with Windows.  The tone made me think that it isn't likely to be soon.

I want to retain graphs of food and pit temperatures.  Has anyone had any experience with something similar to iGrill running on a Windows machine?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Is There Something for Windows That's Similar to iGrill?
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:40:50 PM »
Go to our forum sponsors and look at the savannah stokers section. There stuff in there about that kind of stuff I  think.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
The Rock's Stoker runs on windows...

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/Systems.html

Anything else out there would be probably be custom made for the scientific and industrial measurement category.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
There is something called Cyber Q WIFI that has multiple probes for meat and the grill. It will connecticut to your home WIFI network or set itself up as a separate network and you can use any home PC or mobile phone to access the information reported by the device. There are other "neat" things that it will do.

A couple of drawbacks: 1. The price is $295.00 and 2. it operates on a "b" level of signal capability. Like in b, g, n, ac level of networks. So transfer rate has to be slow. It is a 2.4 ghz which means that any 2.4 ghz device like a wireless phone and your home microwave could possibly present interference.

If some is aware of other devices that are PC and Android compatible, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »
I have always wondered how MAC, with such a small market share - has managed to capture so many device applications like the iGrill...Seems that they would want the greatest potential of user compatability possible with a PC app.- which would mean Windows, ( I think about 80% of all computers run on Windows?)

Disclaimer: I use a MAC most of the time. I still have a PC laptop as well -  ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:32:22 PM »
My entire house is PC based but my bride just got an IPad for work. It would be nice if the iGrill was compatible with Windows and Mac systems. I have horrible range with my iGrill... less than 200 feet.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Is There Something for Windows That's Similar to iGrill?
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:33:32 PM »
iGrill has very limited range and they use a very inexpensive Bluetooth chip, but there's only so much you're going to get out of a device in that price range.

Your best bet is an investment into a Stoker system. While it's more expensive, it's definitely a more versatile and robust system.
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 07:24:46 AM »
I have one of the original Stokers but it's not very user friendly IMHO. Maybe the newer models are.

They also require shore power (or an inverter).
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)