Author Topic: It's Jerk Mon  (Read 1631 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
It's Jerk Mon
« Reply #-1 on: April 04, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »
Making some jerk pork tonight...

I think it's with the new "New York Chop" aka Top Loin chop.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
Re: It's Jerk Mon
« on: April 04, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
I love the smell of jerk seasonings.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Re: It's Jerk Mon... the recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
Jerk cooking, a mainstay in Jamaican cuisine, is traditionally done in large steel drums that have been cut in half lengthwise. The wood used is pimento. Not having any pimento wood or a steel barrel, I’ve adapted the recipe and technique somewhat.

4 boneless pork chops, about six-ounces each
Jerk seasoning
1/4 cup Pickapeppa sauce (or jerk marinade)
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 or 2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and diced (for more heat habanero chiles could be used)
4 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice
Vegetable oil
1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks with juice
Lime and lemon zest for garnish

Prepare the marinade by combining the Pickapeppa sauce, onion, garlic, jalapeños (or habane-ros), green onions, bell pepper, lime juice, vinegar and orange juice. Season the pork chops with the jerk seasoning. Place the chops in a resealable bag and add the marinade. Add enough oil to lightly coat the chops. Allow the chops to marinate, refrigerated, at least eight hours or overnight.
Remove the pork from the marinade and pat dry. Reserve the marinade. Lightly dust both sides of the chops with brown sugar (and more jerk seasoning, if desired).
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat a large cast iron skillet or griddle pan over medium-high high. Lightly coat the skillet with oil and add the chops. Sear the chops for three minutes and turn over. Cook another three minutes. Return the marinade to the skillet. Add the pineapple chunks and the juice. (Add more orange juice if necessary to partially cover the chops.) Cover and put the skillet in the pre-heated oven. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the pork has an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. Remove the chops from the oven and let the pork rest for 10 minutes. To serve, place the chops on a warmed serving plate and spoon the marinade over the pork. Garnish with the lime and lemon zest.
(These chops could also be grilled over a medium-high heat charcoal grill. Grill the chops about five to eight minutes per side depending on thickness.)
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:05:38 PM »
Many Thanks bbq her, I did want ask ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »
Enjoy!

I try to post recipes with the various cooks I do but sometimes I forget... never hesitate to ask for the recipe.

Mike
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »
Beginning to think I am crazy, it's not my typing it's the ipad, lol
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »

I'm stealing one of Tent's posts from "another" forum..    I hope he doesn't mind.   8)

---

Every now and then someone will ask how to simulate Pimento Wood for cooking authentic Jamaican Jerk. Here's a neat little trick I've played with that we pellet grillers can use!

First, a mix of Hickory & Cherry is suppose to yield a flavor very similar to Pimento wood.

Another trick often used is to add pimento berries (Whole Allspice) into your charcoal fire (or in a foil pouch). Well, I figured why not add them in with the pellets?

Here's my secret pellet blend:

Shhh - Now don't tell anyone, and whatever you do DON'T post it on some public Internet forum!

I'm gonna try this one of these days!

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »
Didn't get to fire up the Yoder so I did it in a cast iron ridged skillet...

No plantains so used sweet pototoes with cinnamon... served with steamed asparagus with tarragon.

It could have had a bit more spice for my taste but the bride said it was "perfect"! (And a happy bride makes a happy hubby!)
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi