Author Topic: Is Rustolium paint safe for inside a cooker?  (Read 47881 times)

Offline Merrick Bill

Is Rustolium paint safe for inside a cooker?
« Reply #-1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:23:04 PM »
My NBBD cooker has some rust spots and I was going to paint the outside.  Then I got to thinking "can I paint the inside, as well?"  I know the cooker was painted black inside and out when I first bought it, so there must be some paint that's food safe.  Anyone have any experience in this area?

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Is Rustolium paint safe for inside a cooker?
« on: January 13, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
I am not sure that the Rustoleum folks would be o.k. with recommending it for that purpose BIll...
But - if there is no food contact, and you allow a few days for complete cure before cooking in it - and you fire it up to really burn off any volatiles that may be released - .....

I would do it - and not worry about it.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:46:57 PM »
buy a couple of cans of oven cleaner to use on the inside to help cut the creosote
then use a high pressure washer on the whole thing, inside and out
us any of the high temp enamels
then do a good hot seasoning burn for a few hours to burn out the volatiles
King of the OldSmokey

Offline Ron D

• Fire up the grill or smoker and get cooking
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:22:49 AM »
Bill,

Rustolium make a high temp paint just for grills...rated to 1200F. I comes in several colors and flat or Gloss
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Brinkman Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
Bill,

Rustolium make a high temp paint just for grills...rated to 1200F. I comes in several colors and flat or Gloss

That's the one I have.  I just wasn't sure if it was okay to use inside the grill or if it was only for the outside.

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »
I would be hesitant on painting the inside. I like the Captains idea of using the oven cleaner first. I would then grease down the inside and cure it with some long slow smokey sessions (minus the grub) and that should do it...my 2 cents.......

Talk to David or Rich down in Houston and they would probably say no to the paint on the inside as well.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
I would be hesitant on painting the inside. I like the Captains idea of using the oven cleaner first. I would then grease down the inside and cure it with some long slow smokey sessions (minus the grub) and that should do it...my 2 cents.......

I think that's what I'm gonna do.  I know the pits come painted from the factory but i don't know which paint would be safe and I don't think it's worth taking the chance.  I'll just grind out the rust and season the inside.

Thanks for all the advice.

Bill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »
I too would worry about the paint on the inside of the cooker. Having the paint flake off and get on your food is not good eats. If you want to spend the cash and have it powder coated that might be an option. Most likely it was powder coated from the factory.

I agree with just giving it a good cleaning and let it season up. Rub the interior with some peanut oil after cleaning then run it at around 300F to 350F for a couple hours to give it a good seasoning. Then apply a coat once in a while and you should be good.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:54:48 AM »
Smoke er up real good Bill... I would do 2 or 3 seasoning cooks ...that will season the metal...... Get a tub of Mexican lard (Manteca) you can slather it on with your hands..........might wanna put a drip pan tray under your pit to catch any drippins.......

I was typing this while Muebe posted....like his peanut oil idea!!!! Us California boys stick together!! 8)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:57:15 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:57:59 AM »
I'm not real warm on the inside paint, either.  Why even chance it?  I've used hi-temp paint on the outside of several cookers with good results.  However, on the inside, if nothing else, you've got "grease and grime" to retard or obviate any rust issues.  It's part of the seasoning -- a good thing.

When I got my NOS Traeger there were several spots on the inside bottom of the drum with no paint at all.  After several cooks they've disappeared, covered by the natural coating that will always be there unless I use industrial-strength degreaser on it.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »
Come to think of it when you get an off-set from the big guys out in Houston (Klose,Gator,Tejas,JJ) they sand off any surface rust on the interior chambers right before shipping and it is up to the new owner to do the seasoning process.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
I'm gonna season the inside with Crisco and paint the outside.  She'll be good as new.

Thanks everyone.

Bill

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »

Get some lard..   ;D

(I would use a couple cheap cans of generic Pam myself)

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »
IMHO -- Paint inside a cooker just seems a waste of time - and potentially hazardous.  (paint has gotta have some nasty stuff in it that will oxidize when heated to the temps one can expect, regardless of the rating)

I'm in the camp that suggests sanding and seasoning like bare metal cast iron.

As for PAM and other aerosol spray-on type oils. Seems to me I've read a number of discussions on the other forum about the propellants used being problematic. Crisco or canola oil sound like the way to go, rubbed in on freshly sanded and cleaned metal (note if you use an oven cleaner you'll need to rinse it off with water..but then you have a drying issue and as water dries you will already begin to get rust unless you use a hair/paint drying to rapid dry. - don't-cha think?)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »
Chris Marks of the Three LIttle Pigs cooking team seasons all of his Good-One pits with Pam spray............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven