Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Ask A Butcher!

Beef Ball Tip, aka Bottom Sirloin

(1/2) > >>

Rummm:
I've got a bag of Ball-Tip Bottom Sirloins. The Ball-Tip is part of the Bottom Sirloin, the other two parts being the Tri-Tip and the Flap Meat. You very rarely see the whole Ball-Tip in supermarkets, as they slice them into steaks and market them as Petite Sirloin Steaks and/or Sizzler Steaks.

This is what they look like from the top. Very little trimming is required.

And the bottom view. There is a small wedge of fat that should be removed before cooking, however it's not necessary. Notice how much the Ball-Tip resembles the face of a Round Sirloin Tip? This is where the Round is separated from the Sirloin on a cow. The Ball-Tip basically is an extension of the Round Tip Roast.

Here is the bottom view again after I've cut out the fat.

I've taken a little off the top, but not much. If you want to cut this into steaks, start about where the white lines are and cut against the grain about 1¼" inches thick. The steaks 'may' need marinating, but I prefer to cook the roast whole.

I've coated with Dale's Sauce and then a good rubbing of my steak rub (Kosher Salt, garlic, pepper and Turbinado Sugar)

These were cooked at approx 400° direct for about 15 minutes a side.

This is a little over cooked for me. Slice thin against the grain. You'll find it a very tender and tasty piece of meat.

sparky:
wow.  that was very cool.  i'd like a plate plz.  milk on the side.   :)

Pappymn:
Rummm.......you some kind of closet butcher? You have impressive skills. Learning a lot from your posts. How about some videos?

Rummm:

--- Quote from: Pappymn on April 21, 2013, 12:46:50 PM ---Rummm.......you some kind of closet butcher? You have impressive skills. Learning a lot from your posts. How about some videos?

--- End quote ---

Some videos will be coming in the days ahead  :)

Smokin Don:
Those do look good! Nice cook!!! Don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version