Author Topic: Carolina Wings ala Traeger  (Read 4657 times)

Offline Hub

Carolina Wings ala Traeger
« Reply #-1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »
I've got a new (old stock) American made Traeger 075 (Texas) that I picked up quite cheaply from a dealer going out of business.  My other pellet cooker is a Memphis Advantage.  A metaphor for these two machines would be that the Memphis is a Rolex and the Traeger is a sundial.  The Memphis locks on temps and is super insulated and reliable.  The Traeger clunks and thunks but will still do a great job if you don't turn your back on it too long.

Today I'm cooking wings -- one of my favorite snacks!  Nothing fancy or requiring great care, so I fired up the Traeger.  Here's the start of the cook:  Twenty wings fairly liberally coated with Smokin' Guns Hot

I let them "marinate" in the rub for an hour or so in the fridge then laid them out on a Frogmat.  I have most of the barbeque toys but Frogmats are one of the best inventions ever

The Traeger originally came with the world-famous 3-speed "controller" but it was DOA and wouldn't even fire up.  However, there was a 225 "uncrontroller" in a box and I installed that.  Traeger users will know that this device can be most entertaining and has sparked a whole market it replacement electronics.  In this picture it is set to "smoke" and is sort of working.  Temps will vary all over the place but its the average that counts and I'm not doing rocket science here

A friend of mine calls the lid thermometer on a Traeger the "hood ornament".  With 180 indicated on the controller, this thing sorta comes off the peg.  I don't believe either indication very much.  Good wisp of blue smoke coming out of the stack, though . . .

In the next post I'll finish the saga.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: Carolina Wings ala Traeger
« on: January 10, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »

"Sundial"...     Love it!

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
I like my BBQ 075,  Temp control can be frustrating, but ultimately it does seem to work.

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
No problems with temp control on my Traeger  :P

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
Muebe,

You've got my attention.  What is that thing?

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 05:53:59 AM »
Smoked the wings for 2.5 hours then moved them to a rack.  Spritzed them with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray to keep the skin from getting tough.

In North Carolina in spite of abundant hardwood trees and still active furniture industry we don't have a cooking pellet manufacturer.  Shipping from Arkansas and Wisconsin is expensive.  So, being cheap, I don't use pellets when all I need is heat.  My Maytag convection oven finishes the wings at 325 -- took about 30 minutes.

The sauce is 1/3 cup "Carolina Style" (cider vinegar main ingredient) and 1/3 cup Frank's Hot Wing Sauce mixed together (slosh the cooked wings around in it in a stainless steel bowl).  Side is my Southwestern Slaw.  I love wings but usually don't order them in restaurants because they come out mild and undercooked.  These were nicely done (about 180 IT)  and hot but not tear your lips off and make you cry hot.  You could taste the meat and the rub and the sauces -- they blend together well.

My wife, who is from Maine, not a barbeque lover, and regards ketchup as about the spiciest thing anybody should ever eat loved these.  Go figure . . .

Hub
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:05:06 AM by Hub »
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:16:13 AM »
I like my BBQ 075,  Temp control can be frustrating, but ultimately it does seem to work.

Bill

I agree, Bill.  There are two things you can do with a Traeger:  You can relax and enjoy the show knowing that the thing has a mind of its own and that you'll eventually learn to work with it or you can buy a real controller to tame the beast.  Since I've got the Memphis I feel I have the best of both worlds.  On a precision cook the Memphis never lets me down.  The old Traeger, on the other hand, entertains me.  Both cook fabulous food.  "Know your pit" applies to both and i've learned them pretty thoroughly.  Now, I just need to win the lottery so I can by an FEC-100 to complete my pellet cooker "perfect kitchen".

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »
Muebe,

You've got my attention.  What is that thing?

Bill

Hub the wings look great and sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Bill that thing is called a PID controller. It is fully programmable and works well for controlling my traeger. The parts cost is about the same as the cost of the traeger digital controller. If you want help with building your own controller send me a PM and I can help you.

Your other option is to buy a pre-built plug and play controller from Bill at the Pelletheads forum. The controller they have is the same as mine with a real nice custom faceplate and just plugs right in to the connectors. It comes pre-programmed for your traeger model. I believe it cost in the $150 range from them and you have to order one.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 09:56:47 AM »
No hijack, MB asked a legitimate question --  PID controllers are great additions for Traegers!

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 11:25:27 AM »
I don't think I could build one of those controllers myself, even with your generous offer for help.  I know that there's a new controller that interfaces with The Stoker, but it doesn't seem to be as plug and play as I would like.  I beta tested the actual Stoker controller, but it had problems and I don't think Rock's BBQ went forward with it.  So, I may stick with the Traeger for now.  At some point I may upgrade, but there are too many choices right now for me to pick one.

Bill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
I don't think I could build one of those controllers myself, even with your generous offer for help.  I know that there's a new controller that interfaces with The Stoker, but it doesn't seem to be as plug and play as I would like.  I beta tested the actual Stoker controller, but it had problems and I don't think Rock's BBQ went forward with it.  So, I may stick with the Traeger for now.  At some point I may upgrade, but there are too many choices right now for me to pick one.

Bill

Bill I am about a hour drive north of your location. I could put one together for you and help you install it. Let me know if your interested...
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 02:58:47 PM »
Bill I am about a hour drive north of your location. I could put one together for you and help you install it. Let me know if your interested...

Thanks for the offer.  I really appreciate it.  I'd like to know a little bit more about the advantages (and the ultimate cost).   I was eying the one that interfaces with the Stoker that Billy Merrill is building, but it doesn't seem to be completely plug and play.  The beta version of the one made by Stoker worked pretty well at temps above 235*, under that it still held temp very well, but there was incomplete combustion which left creosote all over the food.  I'm pretty happy with the way my Traeger cooks now, but I wanted a bit more control, to be able to cook/smoke at lower temps, and to eliminate the giant temp swings.  What are the advantages of your home made unit?  How accurate is it?  How low can you cook without problems?  What do you love about it?  What do you hate about it?  How does it compare to the stock Traeger?

Bill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
Bill I will send you a PM...
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »
Okay guys, back to the wings.  I cooked these tonight just like the recipe calls for.  I used some apple flavored pellets on my MAK.  I was also cold smoking more cheese since it was about 37 degrees outside.  My wife's words, "These wings are great!"  Nuff said.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
Those wings looked great!!
Got Smoke?