Author Topic: I'VE GONE OVER TO THE DARK SIDE  (Read 7120 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
I'VE GONE OVER TO THE DARK SIDE
« Reply #-1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:39:53 AM »
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a pellet pooper. I'm a little ashamed to even mention it because it is not a name brand like Rec-Tec, Mak, Yoder, etc., but I wanted to get my feet wet to see if it would work for me. It is an Outdoor Gourmet from Academy Sports and Outdoors. I wanted a pellet grill ever since I cooked a brisket on the RecTec at the Gathering last September. I had my eye on a boxed up grill at Academy for at least 3 weeks (the only grill in all of Houston), but I procrastinated buying it (silly me). Finally 2 weeks ago, I made the decision to go get it. I figured for $200, I would at least get a good learning experience from it. Guess what? It was gone. I had them check inventory at other stores and found that the closest one was in Laredo (about 350 miles and not enough time). Let it slide for the last two weeks, but last weekend, I caught the fever and started a new search and found the closest grill in Baton Rouge, LA. As some of you might know, I work on weekends all around the country and last Sunday, I was in Lexington, Kentucky and fly right over Baton Rouge on my way home to Houston. I made numerous calls to Academy headquarters and to the store in Baton Rouge. They were going to hold it for me, but informed me that it was in a box with the top of the box all torn up and there might be missing parts. I told them I still wanted it and would rely on Academy's superb customer service if I needed anything. So, on my way home Sunday evening, I stopped in Baton Rouge to pick up this grill. Hired a taxi van at the airport to go to the store.They gave me an extra 20% off for what might be missing parts and I bought it for $160. It took 3 people to load it into the taxi. Back to the airport. Had to get airport concierge and both pilots to help me get it inside the plane. Tied it between a couch and a table and took off for Houston. Arrived in Houston and got help unloading it, but I had the wrong car at the airport. I had to store the grill in the terminal while I drove home to change vehicles. An hour and 30 min later I was back with my SUV. Loaded it up and finally arrived home at about 1AM. I was so excited that I put it together right away. It took an hour for me to unload it by myself, but finished in about another  hour. It went together beautifully and not a single missing part down to the last screw. I am very pleased with this grill and cooked a chicken in it this evening for my first cook. Along with the $160 I paid for the grill, I had a few miscellaneous costs....$100 for airport usage fees (I'm on my own for personal unscheduled stops), $70 taxi, $120 gratuities for loading/unloading, So I figure I got this $200 grill for about $500 with tax, title, and license (which was the original selling price before it went on clearance). I know that I will have questions and will rely on all you good people for advice. Sorry for the long story, but I got excited. Pics of this evening's first cook will be posted tomorrow if I can get them off my phone or if Jaxon might be able to get them off his phone. Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:41:35 AM by IR2dum »

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: I'VE GONE OVER TO THE DARK SIDE
« on: May 01, 2013, 03:46:06 AM »
Great story.  Good luck with your new toy.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 04:13:27 AM »
You are so brave...cant' wait for pics. Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:16:10 AM »
Even with the added expense, still not a bad score.

Go ahead and get yourself an A-MAZE-N pellet tube. The Traeger style grills are known for not putting out as much smoke flavor and the pellet tube will help.

Another tip for pellet grills: If you want more smoke flavor, then putting cold meat (straight from the fridge) onto a cold grill, then turning it on takes advantage of the extra smoke during the warm-up and also extends how long the meat will absorb smoke.

Hope you enjoy your new grill! :)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Sam3

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:09:25 AM »
Good luck with it. Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »
See, the darkside aint so bad  ;)   Looking forward to your pellet cooking adventures.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »

Had to get airport concierge and both pilots to help me get it inside the plane.

You get an A+++ for persistence!   Smoke on!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Welcome to the dark side Don!

This grill will get your feet wet. In a year or two you will be looking to upgrade and we will be here to help you make that decision.

If you have any questions there are many experienced pelleteers who can help.

BTW great story on how you obtained that grill ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 09:46:31 AM »
Don,  It's obvious you weren't flying Delta.  You should have called me to come over and help you unload.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
Welcome to the Dark Side, Don.  You were sure determined.  You will probably appreciate every cook that much more because of your experience.

Art

Make sure you post lots of pictures about your cooks.
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »
Don lives in another world.......   8)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:40 AM »
I love the enthusiasm! Looking forward to your "reports". I too am considering the dark side...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
nice snag cuz

wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to come home and get the SUV and drive back over to BatonRouge?

Cuz, you are so right, but I didn't think about the add-on costs at that moment and I had all ready made the arrangements.

Dee, it's all ready unloaded, but you can come over and help me post some pics.

TentHunteR, I have the Amazin maze tray I can use. I had an Amazin tube smoker but I think Dee has it now. Thanks for the heads up because I did notice that there was not a lot of visible smoke when in smoke mode, but it smelled real smokey. At high temp, there was not a wisp of smoke, but the smell of wood burning was definitely in the air

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 12:44:40 PM »
Don is now a pellet head!!

Wow, great news  ;)    Proud of you Don!     Now lets mod that bad boy  :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline knucklehead

• Atascocita, TX
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
Cool another Houston area pellet cooker
Knucklehead

PG 500
18" WSM