Author Topic: Smoked Pork and Yellow Eyed Bean Soup  (Read 947 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Smoked Pork and Yellow Eyed Bean Soup
« Reply #-1 on: May 05, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
Apr 04 2013

I was getting hungry for some beans. I had some smoked pulled pork leftovers and some yellow eyed beans. Yellow eyed beans look like light brown eyed peas but unlike black eyed peas they are a bean. They are popular in Maine and use for baked beans. I never see them in the groceries here in Ohio and order mine from Amazon.

I found a recipe called Rancho Gordo yellow eyed beans that sounded like it would be good with smoked pork. It is actually an all veggie soup but I changed some of the seasoning and ingredients and added smoked pulled pork. The recipe also used the cooking liquid from the beans. It is part of the broth flavor, earthy with a slight lemon taste from the zest.

I had soaked the beans overnight along with a teaspoon of baking soda. My mother in law used to do this saying the baking soda cut down on the gas some people get from beans.

We went to our grandson’s soccer game at 11:30 today and got to see him score two nice goals. After the game the wife and I sat out and enjoyed the nice weather. I started getting my soup together about 2:00 and got it all done by 4:00 so I just turned it down to low and partially covered until we ate about 5:30. I had some crusty garlic bread to serve with it and some shaved parmesan cheese on top of the soup.

My wife had planned on eating something else, she does not like beans very well except in chili. I told her to just try some. She took a couple bites and said yes that is good. We both had a large bowl of it with bread and butter. Since I love beans I will try the yellow eyed beans in some other recipes and maybe the wife will like it. To me they are a little sweeter, than most beans and not as starchy.
Later I would say the baking soda did not do its job!

I was not sure where to post this, I think we need a soup and stew category.

Recipe:

Smoked pork and yellow eyed bean soup

For the beans:

2 cups yellow eyed beans, two quarts water
1 large carrot peeled
2 ribs celery
1 small onion quartered
3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
Stems from one bunch Italian parsley
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Lemon zest from a ¼ of lemon
1 tablespoon salt
A few turns of a pepper grinder to taste

For the soup:

2 cups smoked pork diced small; I used some smoked pulled pork
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large carrots peeled and diced
2 large ribs celery cut in half and sliced
2 green onions sliced thin
3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon dried cracked rosemary
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
2 tablespoons fresh parsley sliced thin and chopped

Cover the beans in water at least 2 inches over the beans and add a teaspoon baking soda. Soak them overnight.

Drain the beans, rinse and place in a pot, add two quarts of water, veggies and seasoning listed above for beans. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes, check the beans and they should be just tender and not mushy. If not cook until they are done to suit you. I did mine for 45 minutes. Turn off the burner, remove the veggies and discard, add 1 tablespoon salt, set aside and let cool at least 10 minutes. I thought mine were a little too salty so you might want to just add 1 teaspoon and check later. Individuals can also add salt to their taste when served.

While the beans are cooling in their liquid, add the olive oil to a large pot on medium heat. Add all the veggies listed above for soup except the tomatoes and parsley. Cook until the veggies are cooked through. Add the can of diced tomatoes with juice and cook until liquid is almost gone. Add the smoked pork and stir in, heat a couple of minutes.  Add in the beans along with the cooking liquid. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for one hour. At this point I turned mine down to low and partially covered to hold until supper time about two hours later. Before serving stir in the chopped fresh parsley

Notes: Use diced tomatoes of your choice; I used Hunt’s fire roasted garlic tomatoes. If you like heat you could also add hot pepper sauce or have it setting out for individuals to add. I served mine with some shaved parmesan cheese on top and some added ground pepper. This is good served with some good crusty bread and butter.

Beans after soaking

Veggies for the beans

Cooking the beans

For the Soup

Veggies chopped and diced

Veggies and tomatoes cooking

The pulled pork

Pork added to the pot

Bread

My Soup

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Smoked Pork and Yellow Eyed Bean Soup
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »
Great idea Don! Just one of the many uses for leftover pulled pork. It is just so versatile ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
Looks great Don, I never seen or heard of Yeller eyed beans. I agree, we need a soup and stew category or maybe Stovetop cookin might cover it all. I usually post soup in Other cookers Category :)

Offline Pappymn

Smoked Pork and Yellow Eyed Bean Soup
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:23:54 AM »
Looks really good SD. Bet it was tasty
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:56:54 AM »
That DOES look and sound good. My wife doesn't like beans either, but maybe I'll get her to try this. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »
Looks good! I have never seen those beans before either.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 07:27:28 PM »
Those beans look great.  Only problem is I am the only one in the family who likes beans (other than in chili which I won't do - there are no beans in chili IMO).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »
Looks good, Don.