Author Topic: All Set To Order GMG Daniel Boone model but...  (Read 1193 times)

Offline hikerman

All Set To Order GMG Daniel Boone model but...
« Reply #-1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:12:38 AM »
Need some advice on how much wood pellets to order. The deal is I get FREE shipping with grill and up to 1800 lbs. of pellets.
I wish that I had storage for that quantity of pellets, but sadly I don't. I believe I read somewhere D. Boone uses approx 1 lb pellets at 325F per hr.  I use my present gasser, etc. often.  Any suggestions?
Also I really like apple wood and oak, never used maple or pecan. What do you folks prefer?
A BIG thanks for any help!
Gene

Offline RickB

Re: All Set To Order GMG Daniel Boone model but...
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »
Need some advice on how much wood pellets to order. The deal is I get FREE shipping with grill and up to 1800 lbs. of pellets.
I wish that I had storage for that quantity of pellets, but sadly I don't. I believe I read somewhere D. Boone uses approx 1 lb pellets at 325F per hr.  I use my present gasser, etc. often.  Any suggestions?
Also I really like apple wood and oak, never used maple or pecan. What do you folks prefer?
A BIG thanks for any help!
Gene

If you can buy pellets localy no big deal but if not buy as many as you can store safely with free shipping

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »
I store my pellets in 30 gallon galvanized trash cans. -4- of them can easily hold 600 lbs.  I would suggest experimenting with different pellets before you make a bulk buy...just my 2 cents.  The GMG Gold blend is a great mix to use if you want to buy bulk right off the bat.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »
Thanks guys!
Smoke ...Great idea using gal. cans. I've been getting dirty looks as I ponder a large storage of fuel. The cans may help in that dept.   ;D

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »
The ones I got have tight fitting lids. It can be rainy and windy and I can sleep well knowing my pellets are safe and dry. I thought of plastic type containers but galvanized cans under a covered patio will last forever and a day  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 01:57:24 PM »
Free shipping is a BIG DEAL -- go for as much as you can handle!  You'll never regret it.  You'll find "flavor" preference run the gamut.  Buy what you like plus some to experiment with.  Hickory and oak are the sort of universal, go with everything woods.  Pecan is similar to hickory but a little sweeter.  I love mesquite for grilling and smoking beef.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 02:12:33 PM »
Thanks Hub!  Good advice! I was thinking the same on quantities. And wood types, yeah I've got favorites, but not familiar with some. I'm just interested in other folks' favorites and why.
Gene