Author Topic: Question on my next Grill purchase  (Read 4086 times)

Offline MSP

Question on my next Grill purchase
« Reply #-1 on: May 17, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
I currently have the Charbroil Quantum and love it. The only complaint I have is really not a complaint at all but I wish they were built a little bit more sturdy. In other words a higher grade of stainless steel. But for the money I think they are hard to beat. I have the older grates on the Quantum so they can be a little tough to clean but again that is not really a big deal.

That being said....I love the way the WEBER are built. They seem to be built to last a lifetime and use a lot heavier grade of Stainless steal.  Some of them also come with a SEAR BURNER...I am thinking the the SEAR BURNER combined with Grill GRATES would make an awesome searing grill area?

They are also about double the price of my Charbroil.

I have read nothing but great things about Grill Grates and I intend on getting those grates sometime in the future.

So in you guys opinion would I be better off at my next purchase to go with a Weber and add the grill grates to give it the infrared cooking zone....or stay with Charbroil which is less money and great at Infrared cooking and NO FLARE UPS but is not as sturdy of a grill.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:16:40 PM by MSP »

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Question on my next Grill purchase
« on: May 17, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
Heck get GrillGrates for the CharBroil that would save you money!  Brad I bet can hook you up with the right size as direct replacements

But a Weber is a very nice grill
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 01:26:20 PM »
Can't answer about the grill grates, but I have a Weber Genesis (with sear burner) and it is built like a tank. I have had it for about 1 year now and it has done everything I could want. I bought the griddle and have used that to blacken steaks, cook eggs, bacon, etc and I am satisfied with my purchase. I struggled long and hard as to what type of grill to buy, and settled on the Weber for its durability. But I must also add that it compliments my other cookers: I use the SRG for poultry, corn on the cob and potatoes; the smokers - Bradley, UDS, and DIY WSM - for ribs, brisket, butts and smoking sausage; the Weber for all my grilling.
So my opinion may be tainted by the other options I have. (But you can't beat it for durability.)   
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline MSP

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »
Heck get GrillGrates for the CharBroil that would save you money!  Brad I bet can hook you up with the right size as direct replacements

Tommy any advantage the grill grates will give vs the new grates for the quantum?

Thanks

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
If your budget allows, always go for quality. 

I have a small Weber Spirit gasser that gets fairly frequent use for grandkid food (hot dogs and hamburgers to be slathered in ketchup) and as a holding/warmer when I'm doing big cooks.  It is three years old and other than some soot, still looks new.  Of all the gassers I've owned it has the most even grate temperture, too (no terrible hot spots).  The spark ignitor still works and nothing seems to be wearing much at all.  I'm told it was made in China but the quality of the materials and assembly is good.

On a couple of occasions I've moved the Grill Grates over from the Memphis to the little Weber and cooked food for adults (burgers, hot dogs and chops not to be drowned in ketchup).  Magic!  Grilled flavor instead of gas grill blah.

I say go for the Weber and the GG's  ;D

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »
Grill Grates + Well-Built Gas is a winning combination.   8)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »
 Weber has a reputation based on quality as their priority, so they are more expensive than some other brands. But - you can still get parts for an old Weber....not true for many others. When you pay more for quality - you cry once. Buy poor quality because it was cheap, and cry often ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »

Tommy any advantage the grill grates will give vs the new grates for the quantum?

Thanks
I will say I'm kinda cheap when it comes to spending a lot of money on big items.  If the body of your CharBroil is still good working order then I'd go for the GrillGrates cause they really do a great job.  I have bolted a set of GrillGrates to my Grill2Go grill because I believe in them that much. My food turns out better with GrillGrates, maybe it's the thought of having them but Kimmie noticed and that speaks very loud!    I think for the money you will get many years out of that grill with GrillGrates on it. 

NOW.... If I had the money, then like Tim said you pay for quality one time and your set for a long time.   Get the Weber you can't go wrong.  Plus, you can always add GrillGrates to the Weber ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »
My Weber Genesis is about to celebrate it's 20th birthday, on it's 3rd set of flavorizer bars and second igniter.  I think the bars were $26 a set last time I bought them. Still cooks like the day I put it together, no paint fade or anything. No discontinued parts to worry about. Most of the new gassers out there now, you can twist the hood like a beer can. I probably would have burned through 4 of those in that period of time.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »
Weber is the Gold Standard for Gassers.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 11:19:58 PM »
You get what you pay for

WEBER® 2013 SUMMIT®, GENESIS® AND SPIRIT® SERIES   WARRANTIES

Aluminum castings                                                    25 years
Stainless steel shroud                                                25 years
Porcelain-enameled shroud                                        25 years
Stainless steel burner tubes                                       10 years
Stainless steel cooking grates                                      5 years, no rust through or burn through
Stainless steel Flavorizer® bars                                   5 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates                 5 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled cooking grates                               3 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled Flavorizer® bars                            2 years, no rust through or burn through
Infrared rotisserie burner                                            2 years
All remaining parts                                                      2 years
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Pappymn

Question on my next Grill purchase
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »
Cheapest isn't always the least expensive......

Something I live by
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 11:51:39 PM »
Cheapest isn't always the least expensive......

Something I live by

Something I tried to do too many times!

Pappy is right!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline MSP

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 11:20:35 AM »
Thanks guys for all the feedback and I am pretty sure when my grill wears out its going to be the Weber Genesis with the sear burner and Grill Grates! :)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »
get yourself a weber kettle and grill grates and be a happy man.  :D  no flavor w/ gas. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66