Author Topic: Pellets, does size matter?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline txpops

Pellets, does size matter?
« Reply #-1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »
I've had my outdoor gourmet pellet grill for about 6 months now. I haven't had any problems with it until recently. I have had 3 auger jams in the last 3 weeks. I think the jams are caused by the pellets I'm using now. I got a bag of mesquite pellets from Academy and the pellets seem extremely long(see photo). I have previously used hickory and apple pellets from Academy and they were shorter and worked just fine.
I have 2 questions , 1. Do yall think the pellet length is contributing to the jams I've had recently or is there something else I need to be looking at?
2. Is there a standard length for pellets or is it just determined by how the machine is running that day.

Thanks
Mike

This is one of the mesquite pellets along with one of the other pellets from Academy.

Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: Pellets, does size matter?
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »
Not to cause trouble but my neighbour had lots of issues with his pellets jamming. With friends we ordered a pallet of CookinPellets this spring. He has had no issues since.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
Could be. Are just a few that size are most of them? Have you heard the auger straining? Are those  pellets harder than the other ones?

You may need to take them out and into a large plastic bag for some "ground impact" to reduce their size. 

Sometimes a few long ones get through but a large amount could cause a jam.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Pellets, does size matter?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:37:18 PM »
Ditto. Could be a combo of a harder pellet and LENGHT. I use cookingpellets.com perfect mix and have never had a jam problem.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »
Mike -

Pellet length is determined by several factors that I have observed, and I am sure there are some that I have  not... ;)

Wood species is important because some woods have more lignans (naturally occurring polymeric compounds found in cellulosic fiber, i.e. plants and trees.

And - it seems that darker, more dense woods contain more lignans...mesquite, and black walnut pellets come to mind.

Those kinds of woods tend to make pellets that can run longer, because when pellets are made, the sawdust is pressed, or squeezed under tremendous pressure, causing the lignans to become semi-lquid or syrupy, and glue the pellets together better.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »
Lots of good info.  But so far my Traeger hopper has not had any problem with using Traeger, B&B pellets, pellets from Amaz'n smokers and BBQ's Delights . 

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »
I don't know nuthin' about no pellet poopers but SWMBO tells me that size always matters.  Jus' sayin'.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »
I don't know nuthin' about no pellet poopers but SWMBO tells me that size always matters.  Jus' sayin'.

Sounds like she "dreams big"...but upon awakening - find the situation lacking...?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:08:54 PM »
The length and density of a pellet do make a difference on my Traeger. I never heard munch & crunch noises until I tried a bag of charcoal pellets. No flavor added, so I just mix them in to get rid of them. The Bear Mountain Mesquite is not 100%, but does add some really good flavor. I would just blend in the what you have with some Hickory.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline txpops

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 01:22:46 AM »
Could be. Are just a few that size are most of them? Have you heard the auger straining? Are those  pellets harder than the other ones?

All of the mesquite pellets are pretty much the same length. I haven't heard the auger straining, it just seems to stop when it gets in a bind. That motor may not have very much torque.  The first time it jammed up I had a few racks of ribs cooking and I walked by and said something doesn't sound right.  I couldn't hear the motor at all. So I powered down,  removed all the pellets and found a few of em jammed up between the frame and the auger. Cleaned it out and put a few pellets back in, just enough so that I could still see the auger, fired it up and the auger worked fine. Yes the mesquite pellets seem harder than the others. I won't be buying them again.

You may need to take them out and into a large plastic bag for some "ground impact" to reduce their size.

Wish I'd thought of that before I mixed them in with the others. Guess it couldn't hurt to put them all in a bag and smack em a few times.

Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:33:35 AM »
Another option may be to put any pellets that you suspect will cause you grief in an Amazen Smoker tube - that way you get the flavor you like - and no auger issues.

T
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »
I use BBQer's Delight mesquite pellets fairly frequently and have had no problems withe either of my pellet machines "crunching" them properly in the auger path.  However, I think density/hardness CAN matter and if your cooker is clogging on only the pellets you reference, T's suggestion to use them as flavor pellets in an augmentation smoker will be the  best way to utilize them. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:07:13 AM »

Yep, bounce them off of the sidewalk a few times..  That's what I had to do with BBQrs Delight charcoal pellets.