Author Topic: Newbie to site and Newbie to grilling...  (Read 5726 times)

Offline perferd

Newbie to site and Newbie to grilling...
« Reply #-1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
Hello folks newbie here to introduce myself...

33 year old father of three girls who has never owned a grill but am finally putting my hat into the ring. I can honestly say I have only cooked on a grill a hand full of times at families house for pre-made burgers dogs and steaks. However this is about to change and with the wifes blessing lol. I told her I wont spend more then $1500 all in and she is cool with that as long as I use it well...

I wont go into what's best and this vs that cause I am sure there are 65836583 of those threads already. What I will do though is tell you what I have put in my short list. Being I am still on the fence about pellet grills I have 2 gassers and 2/3 pellet grills I am looking at. The gassers are naploleon prestige and weber genesis. The pellets are yoder ys480 blazin grill works grand slam and mak 1 star. As you can see I am a north american made kinda guy but I did look into the gmg db.

Ok time to surf the site and try and learn something lol...
Semper Fi.
Once a Marine always a Marine
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline perferd

Re: Newbie to site and Newbie to grilling...
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »
Btw I am posting from windsor ontario canada right across thr river from detroit...home of the tigers and wings... but a fan of the eagles and oregon ducks...
Semper Fi.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline Pappymn

Newbie to site and Newbie to grilling...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:27:16 PM »
Glad you made it here. You will like it here. Great people who cook on everything. No bad questions  on this forum :)

Oh, from Minnesota
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline perferd

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:53:06 PM »
Thanks brotha I am sure I will like it here. I have already been doing a bunch of reading...
Semper Fi.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 11:00:30 PM »
Btw I am posting from windsor ontario canada right across thr river from detroit...home of the tigers and wings... but a fan of the eagles and oregon ducks...
Welcome from North Alabama.   NOW being a Tigers and Wings fan I'll forgive you  ;)  :D :D :D

You came to the right place, there is a wealth of knowledge on the site about BBQ'n
 So jump in head first and ask questions!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 11:25:01 PM »
Welcome from North Carolina.  Seems we are getting more and more folks from above our northern border to join us.  This is a good thing.  If you decide to get a pellet pooper (I have one), you and others can coordinate larger pellet buys to make it more economical to cook with pellets.  That is what I have done.  Our last group order was 4,400 pounds of pellets, at a very good delivered cost.  I believe pellets are the future of outdoor cooking.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 11:40:51 PM »
Welcome. I highly recommend the RecTec pellet grill.  It is built like a beast and uses fewer pellets than many other models.  Check out the videos on its website.  Look under the sponsors category here. I would also highly recommend purchasing a Char Broil Smoker, Roaster, and Grill (SRG) IR cooker when they become available hopefully latter this month.  In my opinion they are the best all around outdoor cooker out there when it comes to versatility.  Also, it's very portable in case you do any camping or cooking away from home. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 05:37:52 AM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline perferd

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:20:32 AM »
You are not the first person to recommend the Rec Tec and I appreciate it. However I might be foolish is limiting myself to just north american products I just can't seem to get over that part. The only reason I even started looking at pellet grills is cause someone pointed out the GMG DB to me awhile back. Hell before that I only knew of gas and charcoal grills and then I still was only going with north american made in weber or napoleon and maybe vermont castings...

I will give a look to the GMG and Rec Tec but I just dont see myself switching. I really like the look of the Yoder and Blazin but the cost is substantial. I dont like the look of the MAK at all but it seems to be the cadilac of them all while being one of the most expensive...I know I know look doesnt cook for me but it is what it is...
Semper Fi.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:45:25 AM »
Welcome Aboard from Washington State :)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:49:41 AM »
Welcome perferd from Illinois!   Enjoy your time here.
As for your hunt for a cooker, I feel your pain. All this info and shared knowledge.....I feel like the proverbial "kid in the candy store"!
Good Luck,
Gene

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 08:06:46 AM »
Welcome from Southern California.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:19:12 AM »
Welcome from Southern California. I own a Memphis Pellet Grill and love it. All stainless and beautiful. It is insulated so it is good for cold winter climates. Some models can go from 180F to 700F. Best searing ability of any Pellet Grill IMHO. Made in USA.

http://memphisgrills.com/

Good luck on your search and let me know if you have any questions I can answer about my Memphis.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:22:48 AM »

Another Illinois welcome!   I've got a MAK 1 Star and a Traeger Lil Tex. (which came over on a boat  ::))

Offline Hub

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
I really like the look of the Yoder and Blazin but the cost is substantial.

"Looks don't cook"  ;)

The physical design of a cooker should be your last consideration assuming it is of sufficient size for your needs.  Engineers design based on principles of physics more than on esthetics.

One more admonition:  Gas grills grill with pure heat, imparting little character to the cook aside from your spicing.  A good pellet cooker will function as grill, smoker, and baker imparting woodiness if you learn how to use it properly.  Gassers have their place and I own one, but my Memphis will cook circles around it.  See the articles on Pellet Cooking 101 in my section.   

Welcome aboard! 

Hub
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:41:37 AM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN