Author Topic: Move from Foil to No Foil Ribs  (Read 1782 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Move from Foil to No Foil Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »
I would like to try ribs without the Texas Crutch

All I have so far in my research is glue and rub the same and the only thing that changes is the temp.

My plan is the temp will be 250 to 275 and the ribs will be on the upper rack. Anyone care to post on the bend test?

Will be looking at a St. Lewis style of rib.
http://www.whatsyourtemperature.com/84/

Anyone that wants to chime in that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
CDN
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Move from Foil to No Foil Ribs
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:08:08 PM »
Here is a recent St.Louis rib cook I did that did not use foil...

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=3579.msg41651#msg41651
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:21 AM »
I can't really explain the bend test in a way that makes sense.  It is just a feel thing when you know what your screwed up ribs bend like vs. your good ones.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »
I haven't done the bend test. I just watch for the meat pulling back on the bones and then I take em off the pit and eat em........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »
I'll give my version of the bend test...which is sort of like trying to explain how bacon tastes.  Take tongs and hold the ribs about a fourth or a third of the way down the length of the rack, looking at it longways.  If the ribs are done you will have 50.3567 degree bend in the ribs. If you don't have a degree measuring thingy like muebe does you can sort of eyeball it and sometimes they will have a slight crack where they bend.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:06 AM »
I use a toothpick (sparky style) goes in nice and easy.....done
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
I'll give my version of the bend test...which is sort of like trying to explain how bacon tastes.  Take tongs and hold the ribs about a fourth or a third of the way down the length of the rack, looking at it longways.  If the ribs are done you will have 50.3567 degree bend in the ribs. If you don't have a degree measuring thingy like muebe does you can sort of eyeball it and sometimes they will have a slight crack where they bend.  Dee

Pow! However I believe Muebe now prefers a 52.6238 degree bend in his ribs. ???
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »
From what I've learned and put into practice in my backyard kind of way - I'm with Smoke on this...As those ribs reach the right temp and texture, the meat pulls away from the bones and leaves the ends exposed.  I believe if you have about 9/16ths showing, you should be in good shape...could even go to 11/16ths.

If you aren't going to use foil, use a mop sauce or a spray to help maintain moisture.  I watch a lot of the Grill Masters and the ones that aren't using foil are mopping every 30 minutes like Capn Jack sez. 

OH...a major change I made in my routine was made after watching Aaron Franklin smoke ribs.  He emphasized the need to allow the ribs to REST a while before slicing for the same reason you allow steak to rest.  He recommends waiting until you can hold the ribs in your bare hands - keeping the ribs tented, not wrapped.  It made a difference for us.  Just sayin'...

B T W, I found an idea that works great on unfoiled ribs.  Mix apple juice (or apple cider vinegar) with grenadine in a spray bottle and spray the ribs - meat side up - about every 20 minutes after the meat begins to pull away.  The Juice adds a little flavor and the grenadine adds sweetness AND lays down a beautiful reddish glaze.

Keep in mind now...I'm just a backyard jack.  My disclaimer can be found on page 6 of my contract with LTBBQ.       ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:00:50 AM by Jaxon »
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
Lots of folks cook ribs without foil and do a great job of it.  You don't HAVE TO foil to get great ribs.  What the foil does is expand the "sweet spot" of time when the ribs will be perfectly done.  Foiled recipes are more forgiving.  When you don't foil, it takes some practice to learn your timing down to a narrower window.  My problem is I can occasionally do good ribs without foil but I tend to goof around and get distracted, thereby not getting the consistency of results I get when foiling.

Have fun and keep us posted, CDN Smoker  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »
Yep Hub, foil the Great Equalizer.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »

Pow! However I believe Muebe now prefers a 52.6238 degree bend in his ribs. ???

I actually take a picture of the rib bend using a 20MP camera. Then I forward that picture to a buddy at Langley who processes the picture into a supercomputer that analyzes the degrees within 10,000th of a inch. This process takes 48 hours. He then returns that information to me so I can make a comparison from my 200 page log book. Unfortunately I usually have already consumed the ribs before he gets back to me.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:48:06 PM »
Anything less and we would be disappointed. ;)
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109